Overheating

TheMG

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
When playing intensive games (FIFA09 is fine, but not COD5), my GPU seems to overheat after ~30 minutes play and the computer either restarts immediately or just powers down, and I have to let it cool for 5/10 mins. I have an ATi x1950 Pro 512mb and two monitors connected. I'm running it on low graphics, 800x600 (because this is a persistent problem). Earlier, I took out a redundant modem which was below the GPU, and this worked okay for a while, but now it has come back. Idling on windows, its running 61C, which seems fairly hot seeing as I'm not even running anything. Any advice?

TheMG

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
It quickly shot into the high 70s, but stabilised and didn't go above 84C. Although, I'm still playing so it could yet crash.

At 100C it usually shut down. I was having some problems with my 2 4850 in crossfire and it was pretty much doing that.

If he get a spare fan, he should try mounting one near it's graphic cards. It lowered my temperature by 20%, just enough to deal with the issue.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i had a dying 8800GTS. overheating whenever i played games. i glued a casefan to the outside. both fans are now powered and working and the card runs cooler than it ever did, overclocks better too.

it does, however, take up 3 slots now. instead of 2.