Hear a click, computer freezes.

Sigma2012

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I hear a click from my computer, then the system freezes. It sometimes freezes at the post boot screen as well.

I think this might be an issue with a hard drive not getting enough power, but I have a 1000w PSU.

I ran a scan on the drives and they come back OK, with one warning that has 5 spin up retries.

Does this imply that the drive isn't getting enought power? Could it be that the PSU isn't getting what it needs from the power bar it's on? should I try to plug the PSU into a wall outlet?

The initial power bar i used (when the freezing started) had a light on it that said 'Line Fault'

any advice? Thanks in advance

Sigma2012

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
The Disk check gave the drive 89% health.
The only issue is the Spin Up Retries, which I think might be some insight to the reason my computer is freezing.
What steps can I take to ensure the integrity of the hard drive?
I've run HD Sentinel and all tests are OK, aside from the spin up retry warning.
Is the Hard Drive alright? or is she going to die.. Is it a power issue?
Any help is very greatly appreciated.

Sigma2012

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Happy to say that (so far, knock on wood) the pc seems to have ceased freezing, though Sentinel now has it's health rated at 60% after 13 spin up retries.
It seems to have been in the power bar. I had dual monitors and some speakers powered off this bar, as well as the 1000w PSU.
From what I can tell, the PSU just wasn't drawing enough power from the bar, and thus wasn't giving one of the drives the power it needed. It caused the disk to stop (click*) and froze the OS that was being run on it.

*Note - a 1000w Power Supply Unit should be plugged into a wall outlet.

Yes you are correct! Do not plug in a lot of devices into a power strip. The wall outlet is usually about 15 Amps, and the 1000 Watts PSU alone will draw about 10 Amps at full load (normally not the case).

All the outlets in the room may be drawing their power from the same 15-Amp circuit breaker in the breaker box.

Try and power your monitors and speakers from outlets in a different room which draw power from a different circuit breaker. One thing is sure - one cannot (or should not) connect more than 15 Amps to a 15-Amp breaker!