HELP NO POST WITH PHENOM II

G

i recently built a new computer with a phenom II x4 965 processor and a gigabyte ga720 us3 mobo. The processor was being clocked down to 1.6ghz so i upped it to 3.4 again in the bios. The computer will now not post and sometimes restarts soon after i power it up. Case fans and power fans and cpu fans are on, but no motherboard beeps are heard whatsoever.
I just bought an asus m4a78 pro motherboard and am planning to transfer all components to there hoping this will fix the problem.
Do u think that ive blown the cpu or fried the motherboard somehow? Some people say this mobo is compatible, others say its not but its not appearing on giga's website on the compatibility list so im hoping i havnt blown the processor.

What could be the problem anyone?

thanks

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The 955 is listed as compatible IF you have updated to BIOS version F3.
As dunklegend suggested, reset your bios to load fail-safe defaults.
Then update your bios to version F3.
Then load optimized defaults and see what happens.

expensive gamer

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
i would suggest unplugging all the cables on your mobo and plugging them back in. i myself have a 955 processor and experienced this problem. also, the bios doesn't need to be up to date UNLESS you have succeeded in starting it up once before, in that case you need to manually reset the bios every time you boot up until it is updated.