Can't boot from cd

heathkun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Okay. So I have a real mess here and after spending the greater part of a day trying to come to a solution I am here. Asking, nay, begging for your help.

This started when I changed my administrative password in vista some weeks ago on my home machine. Now some weeks later I have absolutely no idea what the password is. I've researched my options and came to the conclusion I needed to make a bootdisk to reset the password. All of this was easy enough but I've came to a roadblock.

I can't boot from CD because I can't change the boot order in bios. I can't get into bios no matter what I try.

I have been in bios before on this machine with no issue. In fact, it asks for me to press f2 which normally works when it boots. It even says "Entering setup." after I press it. However, it does not work. Instead it goes to system password (which I know) and then to windows boot manager. (I have dual boot option of vista and ubuntu.)

Any suggestions would be fantastic. I'm really at the point where I'm going to have to send it off for repairs. And I really, really need it available to me ASAP.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Just to avoid confusion, disconect your hard drives temporarily and try again. If this fails reset cmos, a jumper on motherboard identified by small text also illustrated in the manual. Sometimes neccessary to remove little battey and wait a short period of time. After cmos is cleared there shouldn't be any password left, at worst use the bios manufacturers name lile award, phoniex. This will only let you into bios it won't replace password in Vista. I have no clue what makes you think a boot disk is going to allow you to reset the password in vista. If that was all it took it really wouldn't be a password. Micrsoft can help you get past it though. With earlier versions it was easy to search it but now it's encripted.

heathkun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
There are many boot disk rescue programs designed to change the vista password. In short, you're wrong. One such I have used in the past is trinity rescue kit.

This is a laptop and I cannot access the jumper.

After a lengthy discussion with asus tech support I will be sending my laptop in.