Am I out of luck--bought wrong card?

massivepepper

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I've recently made a post looking for help with building a budget gaming PC and just started buying the parts.

I just discovered after looking at some reviews of this vid-card that I might have a problem with it not being supported by my power supply unit.

Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719

Specifically speaking, the card's requirements:
450Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended.
For ATI CrossfireX: 550 watt power supply or greater with two 6-pin connectors.

Are these requirements very strict or will I be able to get by with what I have?

-Eric

4745454b

Titan
You should be fine. The PSU in question is the "BP430", or the Antec Basiq 430W. This PSU has 30A on the 12V rail, and while not the best out there, should be enough to power a single 3870. I wouldn't try any CF setups with this PSU, but you should be good for one.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
yeah they kinda overshoot the power requirements assuming not everyone is going to go out and get a QUALITY psu. You can always go a little lower with a good brand, tho, i wouldnt try it personally(unless ofcourse i already have the psu, which you do)

massivepepper

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
yeah they kinda overshoot the power requirements assuming not everyone is going to go out and get a QUALITY psu

This kind of insider info I guess I could glean trolling these boards, but as I've been told before, "I won't learn anything unless I get my feet a little wet". I trust that everything will be fine. Just another swing on the learning curve. Thanks everyone!

Can't wait to play CivIV a bit more comfortably :)

massivepepper

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Fer sher! And be sure to follow in on my adventure in building my first PC! I've enlisted a lot of help from some folks at the First Build section of the Homemade Forum and am on my way.

I plan on sharing pictures surrounding the whole thing (if you're into that) and hopefully plenty of candid observations, impressions, and commentary about my experience as well. I'm pretty sure I will be delightfully floored when all the dust settles and I've got it chugging along. Then after a year sell it and save up for a better one, Lol!