Stock Settings i7 860 running too hot

redsoxfred

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello,

When I run Prime95 on my machine, it gets really hot really quick. hovering near 100 on 2 of the 4 cpus and close to 95 on the other 2.

Everything is stock on the machine. The case is open also. Room temp is about 75F.

My exact specs are here

Is there anything I can do. I do not wish to necessarily overclock, but i got a couple of bluescreens last week due to overheating doing normal work (programming using visual studio and some 3rd party).

At rest machine runs at about 45F.

I dont know what other information i need to give to help people understand my problem.

redsoxfred

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

No it was custom built in a shop.

Thats what i think too....

I was able to remove the heat sink yesterday and reattached it.... didnt help much. I order thermal paste and and decent heatseek and will replace the stock one as soon as it comes in.

Worried about having to remove the motherboard and installing the backplate a little bit, but i have built computer in the past, before heatsinks and thermal paste, but i am sure i will manage.

I bought

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM

And

Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound Paste NON-ELECTRICAL Conductive 4 Gram

found recommendations for both on the board

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Good combo on the heatsink and thermal paste,you should be happy after the install. Removing the motherboard is a pain but all good heatsinks require a back plate. The 212 is a pretty easy fan to install and in some ways easier than fighting with the ridiculous push pin method that Intel refuses to improve.

redsoxfred

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well the CoolMaster came in today.. without the Arctic cooling compound.. but there was a tube of paste included, so i used that one.

I managed to replace the fan and the change is automatic and great.

I now run below 40 at rest, I went as low as 31C.

The big difference is when i actually work. Normal work would bring it over 80c really fast. now it wont break 50C.

And i ran Prime95 for a good 5 minutes.. it never reached 60C.

When I received the new compound, I may replace it, but for now I am very happy.

TRENDING THREADS