Sign in with
Your question

Why is vista using 4-7 gigs of my ram?????

Last response: in Memory
December 27, 2009 4:05:34 AM

Ok this is a problem that just started today. I have been having several problems due to a stupid GPU problem (drivers always crash). Now whenever i start a game, then exit it the ram usage doesn't go down. For example I was trying to play The Chronicles of Riddick: assault on dark athena (but couldn't b/c all games crash now :fou:  ) and when i exited, ram usage was at 7 gigs out of my total of 8!!!!!!!!!!!!! It wouldn't go down till i rebooted. And also when looking at processes in the task manager, the process that utilized the most ram was only using 170 mb... WTF!

So i cant even find and stop whatever is using so much... what do i do??

More about : vista gigs ram

a b } Memory
December 27, 2009 7:20:54 AM

Vista Superfetch 'finds' and addresses all eight gigs at all times. I suppose you could try going into system services and turning Superfetch off and see how that works within the system and apps you run.

How Superfetch works.

m
l
December 27, 2009 6:21:24 PM

badge said:
Vista Superfetch 'finds' and addresses all eight gigs at all times. I suppose you could try going into system services and turning Superfetch off and see how that works within the system and apps you run.

How Superfetch works.

Does turning this off have negative effects?
m
l
a b } Memory
December 27, 2009 6:49:05 PM

I have read some on the forum have success turning it off. On my PC's, I leave it on. Superfetch is a nice upgrade from Windows XP outdated Prefetch which leaves system memory sitting around 'unaddressed'. Dormant like it is not even installed in the system.
m
l
!