Gamer - Enthusiast US$2K-2.5K

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
It's time for a new build, any advice before I click 'order' would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and recommendations.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Anytime from tonight - October (itchin' to hit the 'order' button, but willing to wait to keep options open for Intel 32nm SSD, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbit/s, and DirectX 11 GPU options)

BUDGET RANGE: US$2000-2500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Primarily gaming (latest and coming FPS, RTS, MMORPG titles) @ 1920x1200

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor (maintaining current Samsung Synchmaster 2433BW), speakers (Cambridge SoundWorks)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Current preference is Newegg, but remain flexible for other $$ and availability options (ex. I7 920 w/ D0 stepping)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Previous positive experience/history with the below manufacturers contributed to my selections

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, OC between 3.2-3.8 @ 24/7 stable on air.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: SLI, but not initially. Starting with a single GPU solution and will either add another in SLI or go with a DirectX 11 single/SLI solution later this year/early next.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Will be running Win7 RC until full release. I'm currently considering the ~$2000 build from Newegg below (this leaves $$ in reserve for additional data drives in RAID 0, SLI options). There's 2 other PCs in the house that would love for me to give up the GPU selection in a couple months were I to choose a different upgrade path when options change. ; )

Current build consideration:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Also, considering holding off on order to snag Corsair's Obsidian 800D later this month.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

XFX GX285XZWBF GeForce GTX 285 1GB Black Edition 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
I do not yet own either of the two titles that come 'free' with this order (FarCry 2 & CoD5)...contributed to the selection.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS910 910W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active ... - Retail
Also considering CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail ...mostly for modular options to keep the case cleaner. With current rebates the 1000HX model is comparable in price, but more juice than I require. Both cases appear to have sufficient options to hide the excess cable, so I'm not overly concerned.

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
Will OC between 3.2-3.8 @ 24/7 stable on air. Considering purchasing CPU separately for D0 stepping. Thoughts/experience here?

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail

Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
OS drive.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Data drive(s). Considering adding additional drives for data storage in RAID 0 array.

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Logitech G5 7 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse - Retail
Time for a replacement.

Logitech G15 USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail
Time for a replacement.

If you plan on waiting for DX11... just wait until the cards are released...

If not, go for DX10.1.

Also, for that kind of money, get the full HAF version or something bigger if you plan to SLI or CF. You will thank me when you are going to make your cable management.

You can also go for a i7 build... but... it's a waste of money IMO... (I am going to get flamed)

Get 2 GTX 260 instead of a 285 OC, like the SBM from Tomshardware.

Check the new Corsair HX series of Power Supply... you could change your mind.

Forget your SSD for the moment, wait until the price go down. Also OCZ will release a true 3.5 inch SSD soon.

Also... do you need to pay that much for your memory?

My new rig cost half that price and I am sure it's running any games as great as the one you plan to build.

Phenom II X3 720
Asus M4A78T-E CF ready
2 X 4850 Asus TOP (OC 9%) == GTX 285 OC
OCZ Vendetta 2 Heatsink and fan
4 gig DDR3 OCZ platinum 1600
BluRay Sony drive
OCZ modXstream 700W
HT Omega Striker sound card
2 X 1T caviar green EADS Western Digital
LG DVD Burner
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Price 1050$ US

If you don't plan on putting more than 400$ of graphic cards in your PC, a i7 built will only gather you a few more fps. On the other hand, if you plan to SLI, go for it with 2 260 GTX... now you are going to get a nice advantage over mine.

I don't know for you, but one of the thing I like to do when building a PC is trying to find the lowest prices possible... a real treasure hunt :p

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

I'm not really waiting for DX11, but it is an option to consider soon. I'll be doing an out of cycle upgrade on another PC here at the house soon, and that machine very well may inherit the GPU selected for this build. Keeping my options open.

I selected the HAF 932 ("full HAF"), but will double check my link. Did I direct you to the 922?

Agree in many titles $/performance is better with a Phenom II option. I went with AMD for my last couple of CPUs, but Intel has my $ this go around. My typical 'full' upgrade cycle is 2-3 years, and across the board i7 has more to offer here.

I'm looking for a strong single GPU solution initially. In 3-6 months I'll likely be moving this GPU to another system or SLI 285s then. Leaves my options open for considering DX11 options later. I've also considered a single 275 for now...the Black Edition clocks, 1GB DDR3, and the two free games zero'd me in on the 285. Besides...wouldn't it be kewl to SLI those 285s? ; )

I've looked at the AMD/Crossfire options, but I've used Nvidia exclusively for several upgrade cycles and upgrades in between. The driver issues I've read about keep me focused on Nvidia (and XFX due to a good experience with the one GPU I've had to RMA), even if the cost is a bit higher (peace of mind based on positive past experience). Am open to other thoughts and suggestions here...

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

I mixed most of my response to this and your previous post into my last response. Agree, it's a real treasure hunt. I tend to fudge it a bit and give a little when it comes to sticking with manufacturer's I've had more experience with, but $/performance is certainly a consideration. It's also my drive for posting here, to get some input from others with experience on the other options. My biggest give this time around is the Intel SSD and Corsair's upcoming case. I'm quite happy with the case options for 1/2 as much with a little modding, but that Corsair case looks like it'd make for a few solid builds...it'd be a total splurge...but it's still tempting. Just updated the shopping carts again, damn itchy 'order' finger. WD 640GB Black out of stock @ Newegg...had to release the trigger. ; )P

not moose

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
The DX11 cards will be about the price as a gtx 295 is now. The new 32nm ssd' from intel will come at a high cost when they are first released, for drives you should either stick with that X25-M or grab yourself two 30gb vertex ssd' for raid0. Do not buy any ssd with JMicron controllers in them.

With a $2500 budget I would also consider a water cooling solution now or later, in any case (lol pun) the HAF 932 would suit air and water.

If you want another option besides the P6T series, look at the Foxconn Bloodrage. It has a nice set of pci-e slots and good reviews in terms of overlocking - not to mention it looks kick ass in a HAF.

Look into BFG Tech or EVGA video cards because they have a step-up program, so you can upgrade to a DX11 card for cheaper when needed (I would go with BFG just because EVGA has been having customer service problems recently, and BFG now offers a better warranty than it did before).

The aftermarket cooler you chose honestly isn't that great for a high end system, since you're spending so much you'll want a nice one. Look into the TRUE, Prolimatech Magalems or a Noctua NH.

And finally I would recommend getting the 1000HX just to keep safe in case of future upgrades.

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Hmmm...just ran across a Core i7 920 @ Micro Center for $199.99. Not confirmed for D0 stepping...but got my attention. Unfortunately, it looks like it's only in store pick-up...so happy shopping for those of you with a local Micro Center.

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Roger that. Of the current options, X25-M gets my vote...

I'm not considering a clocks that would require water cooling at this point. The overhead in the budget leaves room for other options later this year. Most of my flexibility comes from an upcoming out of cycle upgrade for another PC...as the market and options change into Q4/2009 I can move some of this build to that PC.

Aye, it's a sharp looking option. Last 3 builds have all been on ASUS...so tending to stick with what I know, particularly at a same/similiar price/performance.

Roger that. I've got no DX11 titles on my radar currently...so thinking this may be off my radar for now. I don't currently have use for the step-up program as my parts move to other PCs in house when I upgrade. As a side note, I've had good warranty experience with XFX...the one time I've had to go through the RMA process anyway.

I did consider all the coolers you mention...the Zalman CNPS line of coolers has a more personal interest for me...especially when they added the 10X Extreme. I haven't used this cooler myself...nor seen it compared to the above, but presume by design it will satisfy my needs while appeasing my other interest in the product. ; ) If needed...will be prepared to attach an additional fan in a push/pull config.

Roger that. The PCP&C 910 or the 850HX would be sufficient, but if the 1000HX remains at the same price point with rebates when I pull the trigger I'll likely do that. Having not built in the HAF or the new Corsair I presume I'll have no problem hiding the extra wiring, but going with the modular solution looks like a plus. Have experience that would advise sticking with the PCP&C solution on a single +12v rail? SLI is near-term and quad-SLI is a possibility...have no intention to go tri-SLI. I'd only consider the quad if I traded up for a 30" display/2560x1600...not on my radar currently (to comfortably view the thing I'd have to hang it on the wall behind my desk!).

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
"Have experience that would advise sticking with the PCP&C solution on a single +12v rail?"

I assure you that the best choice between the PCP&C 910w, the Corsair 1000HX and the Corsair 850HX is the latter. Although the Corsair 1000w has more wattage then the 850HX the 850HX has better quality components, is on a single rail and has a 7 year warranty vs. 5 year. As for the PCP&C 910w, I really just prefer modular cabling.

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Thx Rags...was interested in PCP&C 910W, but missed the Corsair 7yr warranty and was leaning towards modular...850HX sounds like a winner. Now if Corsair will release the Obsidian along with a good Newegg combo...sounds like a great special for the 4th. ; )

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Aye, would be fun to build in that! Until I get my hands on one, I can't speak to the premium price though...~US$300. What may save me is the itch to order now. ; )

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Any thoughts on Core i7 920 w/ D0 stepping? From what I've gathered it seems like mixed results for the clock I'm going for. Currently don't have the CPU as part of any combo...so still considering purchasing separately to gurantee D0 stepping...

Will see what sales come up for the July 4th weekend and then likely place the order(s)...

Thanks again for the review. ; )

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Based on your build you look like you did your research. I only have a couple recommendations:
-Consider purchasing from TigerDirect, they are good online PC store, sell all the parts you need and have very good prices.
-I would personally reccomend getting OCZ ram over corsair as I always do because its as good as corsair but much less expensive, however with your budget range I am going to have to recommend micron ram. Micron ram is much more expensive but its less faulty and is more business grade quality. I have had expirience with this manufacture and cannot go wrong with them, except for high prices :) But you cant go wrong with OCZ either...
-I would get a motherboard a little more high end, like a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, its a little less then a 100bucks more but supports faster ram and from what i have from what i have heard overclocks better, if you are willing to spend another 100bucks or so, then for a little of 400bucks you can get the EVGA classified, ultimate gaming motherboard :)))

-Everything else looks good

wbennett

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

I've run the build through TigerDirect and ZipZoomFly...build cost was higher with both and neither had all the parts in inventory (ex. TigerDirect didn't list the HAF 932 (had the 922) or the 80GB X25-M (had the 160GB) and build cost was +$150-$200).

I've got no personal experience with OCZ, but I've heard and read plenty of good things. Corsair has never let me down...many builds and upgrades with no issues. I could save ~50-60 and go with OCZ DDR3-1600 @ 7-7-7-24 stock over the Corsair @ 8-8-8-24. I'd consider other OEM modules using Micron DDR3 if I was going to go with DDR3 1800-2000 with more agressive timings, but I'm currently not planning to take this build that far...this go around I'm more interested in noticeable performance gains in game or applications vs. synthetic benchmarks. Will want to play more with this...just not now. From your recommendation and others reviews I'll look more into giving OCZ a shot this around...

Your thoughts on OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail ? I see mixed results from folks clocking this memory @ 1800 with 7-7-7-20 timings. I'd be good with stock clock/timings for the memory this build though.

Will likely lock the i7 920 in @ 3.2 and call it a day. Still looking for some input here with that in mind...from what I've dug up I'm still trying to decide if it's worth chasing the D0 stepping. This is my first i7 build...

Thanks for the recommendations. Will follow-up and give OCZ and Gigabyte another chance before pushing the order button.

Also, decided to toss in Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Retail (79.99 @ Newegg with promo code 'EMCLVLN24' + free shipping)...going to run fiber to stereo/entertainment system in the next room. Wife's last minute request. ; )

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Webnett wrote "Your thoughts on OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail?"
-I think this ram is very good, its triple channel, fast timings, 1600mhz-fast interface. I like it and i think you should go for it,it has excellent reviews, its especially good for its price.

-And definatly give Gigabyte another chance, I am telling you they are dam good motherboards :) and look at the model for a gigabyte I gave you earlier, its probably the best one for you out of the gigabytes.

Nick_m

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Webnett, I came accross this site earlier for i7 920 process with or without d0 stepping. You might be able to get a better price but at least they have it available.

http://www.antaresdigital.com/customer/product.php?productid=16135&cat=282&page=1]

as for the motherboard situation Blackhawk is right give a gigabyte x58 chipset motherboard another chance it will give you a great bang for your buck and 3.2 would be the minimal you will be able to overclock to with good ram which you seem like you have and good ventilation and cpu fan/heatsink you sould be able to get to 4.0 ghz.