[i7 2600k + archon] Will it fit/airflow/alternatives

Alastuor

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello, I'm about to order a 2600k to mount on a p8z68-v pro with vengeance ram inside a cm690 and I've been trying to figure out what's the best cooling solution for my system.
I've (more or less) ruled out the option of getting the new bracket for my old zalman 9700nt as the idea of spending more on delivery charges than on the piece of plastic itself kinda bugs me :d and it would be a total of 16€ for an old heatsink that probably wouldn't allow me to try overclocking too much.

So, I've decided to get a new one and at the moment I'm fixated on the Thermalright Archon: good performance, fairly silent, apparently no problems with high profile ram modules but I'm not so sure it would fit inside my 690. If it did, I would have to remove the side panel fan and I wouldn't know where to put it either [:aford10:1] I was thinking on the bottom to draw fresh air, or on the front panel (lined up with the cpu heatsink). The other two fans are on the front(low, intake) and back(high, exhaust) of the case.

Would this be a good setup or a waste, considering that I am going to overclock eventually (nothing too extreme though)? I'm already exceeding my initial budget but I guess I wouldn't mind IF it were a good option.. And I'm getting more and more confused about possible alternatives, with some cheap heatsinks outperforming more expensive (but maybe old) ones etc :heink: ..
thanks in adv =)

Solution
Yeah for the price of the Archon and clearance issue I would just get a H70 or H80. You will get better cooling performance and way more clearance.