Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New hardware, but not new, not used, and not installed

Last response: in Windows XP
December 10, 2011 12:24:57 AM

Now that I have my hardware upgraded (the video card (the GTX 460 instead of the 7600 GT), the RAM (4 GB of 1866 RAM (strangely, the BIOS is showing 1600 and won't boot if I set it to 1866) instead of 2 GB of 1333 RAM, and the big CPU fan), everything appears to be working. However, there is one thing that isn't that seems strange. Every time I start up my computer, I get the "found new hardware" indications coming up for something I don't have. This screenshot shows you what I mean. Whenever I start up my computer, I get 4 of those "add new hardware" wizards occurring, of which don't seem to go away.

This may be because I forgot to reinsert my sound card (since I had to completely take out the motherboard to install the CPU fan). I checked the BIOS and I am seeing that the onboard audio is indeed disabled.

What could be causing these extra hardware entries and how do I get rid of them?

More about : hardware installed

a b \ Driver
December 10, 2011 5:55:03 AM

For some reason I don't think you have SP3 installed.

Either install SP3 or this file
HERE.
December 10, 2011 3:38:27 PM

I don't have such a device so a driver is pointless. I do have SP3 as well, I've had it since about the time it was initially released. The only hardware changes I made were the CPU fan (from the stock fan to the hyper 212 plus), video card (from the 7600 GT to the GTX 460), and RAM (2 GB of 1333 to 4 GB of 1866). These have nothing to do with audio. The only thing that did happen was I forgot to reinsert my sound card upon putting everything back so I'm thinking the system went to its onboard sound.

All I want to do is remove this hardware that I don't have and stop Windows from "complaining". There isn't a "remove" option in Device manager.
Related resources
December 10, 2011 6:42:48 PM

Never mind, disabling it worked. Question is, what is this particular thing and what piece of hardware has it?
a b \ Driver
December 10, 2011 9:42:31 PM

Your High Definition sound device could be your video card, it has HDMI Audio.
December 12, 2011 11:19:43 PM

As far as I'm aware, I don't have anything that uses HDMI. The video card does have an HDMI port on it though though that only covers one case as there's only one port. Why 4? I've installed the drivers for the video card from the disk, but apparently the disk doesn't have them or they're not part of the drivers on the disk.

Best solution

a b \ Driver
December 13, 2011 12:47:51 AM

ulillillia said:
As far as I'm aware, I don't have anything that uses HDMI. The video card does have an HDMI port on it though though that only covers one case as there's only one port. Why 4? I've installed the drivers for the video card from the disk, but apparently the disk doesn't have them or they're not part of the drivers on the disk.

The video card has HD Audio, even if you don't use it so a driver must be loaded for the day you do use it.

I haven't asked yet...so.. Do you have the SMBus driver installed? It shows up under "System Devices" in device manager. That driver is rarely installed automatically with the chipset drivers. If it's not there that could be your problem. SMBus drivers are loaded manually and are located in the same folder as your chipset drivers after they are expanded from the CD.
December 13, 2011 9:45:03 AM

I had no idea a video card would have audio support. I thought that was the job of the sound card.... Then again, you do need to remember that I'm still very used to the GeForce 7600 GT. The 460 GTX appears to not offer any advantage - video decoding is apparently not GPU-based, but purely CPU. Underclock my CPU and the speed of playback gets worse. Overclock it and it gets better. Sony Vegas is much worse than Virtual Dub as far as full playback goes though at least I do get the audio uninterrupted and if I go back, the video plays back fine... for some time. I only got the GTX 460 for video decoding. I guess I was better off with the 7600 GT, even though it's 7 generations behind....

I don't have SMBus present either.
a b \ Driver
December 13, 2011 4:56:35 PM

The SMBus is part of the chipset drivers. You didn't specify what computer you have or at least the chipset maker.

If you have an ATI based board you may also need the ATI function driver for HD audio bus.

We'll all know more when we see the type system mainboard (motherboard) you have.
December 13, 2011 9:34:17 PM

Oh, you're asking for the motherboard. I thought you were asking for the video card as that's apparently what the bulk of this thread revolves around. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, or, to be exact, this motherboard. My exact video card is this one.

When I installed the motherboard drivers, I had the GeForce 7600 present so perhaps that has something to do with it. ... Or that SMBus was simply not installed during the normal install procedure.
a b \ Driver
December 14, 2011 12:15:33 AM

That makes it easier...

I have a link to the Gigabyte site to download drivers for that board. It seems you need to know the revision number except I checked the drivers for various versions and the drivers you need are the same for all versions of that board for 32 bit XP.

Get:

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition) 5.10.0.6449 98.66 MB 2011/08/26

Intel Management Engine Interface 7.1.20.1119 6.20 MB 2011/11/15

Intel INF installation 9.2.0.1030 2.43 MB 2011/09/19

They are
HERE. Click Downloads and then your OS in the dropdown box.

The Intel INF installation should have the SMBus inf files. If not, I'll look more.

December 14, 2011 9:42:35 AM

Question. I've noticed you mentioned the drivers for the Azalia audio. I've disabled this in the BIOS settings because I have my own dedicated sound card, the Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum (I got this PCI (not PCI-express, just plain PCI) sound card around 6 or so years ago as I recall first using it with Windows 98 (I didn't get XP until February 6, 2006). Thus, would I really need that audio driver? Newegg doesn't have my sound card listed (yeah, it's been that long since I got it), so I can't provide a direct link to it.
a b \ Driver
December 14, 2011 2:11:50 PM

ulillillia said:
Question. I've noticed you mentioned the drivers for the Azalia audio. I've disabled this in the BIOS settings because I have my own dedicated sound card, the Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum (I got this PCI (not PCI-express, just plain PCI) sound card around 6 or so years ago as I recall first using it with Windows 98 (I didn't get XP until February 6, 2006). Thus, would I really need that audio driver? Newegg doesn't have my sound card listed (yeah, it's been that long since I got it), so I can't provide a direct link to it.

Since you disabled it in the BIOS Windows doesn't have access, no don't load that driver.

However, if you did enable the built-in sound, and loaded drivers, you could then disable it in Windows and it might stop pestering you.
December 15, 2011 12:22:41 AM

Okay, I've downloaded and installed the drivers you stated, except the audio driver since it's disabled due to having my own dedicated sound card. I still don't see a "SMBus" anywhere in the device manager.

I checked my motherboard's box and I have revision 1.0 of the motherboard. It was bought in mid or late July of 2011.
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2011 1:01:18 AM

ulillillia said:
I still don't see a "SMBus" anywhere in the device manager.

That's the problem with that stupid thing. It shows when it's installed (within "System Devices") I'll look for a proof-positive way to get it loaded. Don't give up the ship.
December 15, 2011 1:28:43 AM

What is this SMBus thing and what's so special and important about it?
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2011 1:38:29 AM

System Management Bus. Perhaps a link to a page that tells a bit about it is in order since so many devices rely on it to work. Check this out HERE
December 15, 2011 2:00:23 AM

... Then again, I may be missing it. I took a screenshot of my device manager just so you can see. I can't get everything at once, but this is almost everything. Only the top section is missing though this is otherwise irrelevant. Note the 4 disabled devices from that odd driver I couldn't explain initially. Now that I know they come from my video card rather than my sound card, of which was completely unexpected, I might be able to install them. Trouble is, I can't install everything on the disk that came with my video card - the dot NET Framework part wouldn't install, which may explain another issue I've been having for 3 or 4 days now - an infinite install loop with Windows updates.

Edit: forgot the image....
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2011 2:12:14 AM

Good thing you sent that image..

I see it.

"Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 1C22"

The 4 HD sound problems are your video card.

They appear to be disabled... any reason why? If you loose sound as a result of them being enabled, go to Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel and make sure your sound card is selected as the primary sound device. (Because your video card can be selected as your default sound device).

Try installing Framework 2.0 and 4.0 using the redistributable packages (full thing, not web setup). I think your Video card needs Framework to operate correctly.

2.0 is
HERE

4.0 is HERE
December 15, 2011 2:40:14 AM

I disabled those HD sound things to stop the "add new hardware" thing from popping up every time I start my computer. At the time, it was a device I thought I didn't have, thinking the Azalia drivers were being used since I accidentally forgot to reinsert my sound card after taking the motherboard out to install the big CPU fan. All video cards that I've seen have never had audio support. Their job is for displays and processing video game graphics. The audio bit goes to the sound card. This led me to a lot of confusion as to what was going on which is why I posted this thread to begin with. To stop the "found new hardware" wizard from coming up every time I restarted my computer, I was left to disable it. The only thing I have that uses HDMI is my TV. I have no such cables available though and 1280x720 is a way lower resolution than what I run Windows at (note the 1920x1440 image size of my screenshot) so there's no point in using my TV anyway.
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2011 2:43:06 AM

These new vid cards are doing a lot these days. If you ever get hooked on Blu-Ray movies then the video card and the sound will really matter since the sound will go down the HDMI cable, supplied by the vid card.
December 15, 2011 3:39:29 AM

I have nothing that uses Blu-ray and movies don't interest me. Only console games do, especially Disgaea (particularly Disgaea 2). None of the systems I have have HDMI, just RCA or coaxial which do fine with a basic TV tuner. The only thing I have use for Blu-ray with is backup since I currently need 3 DVD-Rs for this (totalling about 11 GB when compressed, about 25 to 30 GB uncompressed).
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2011 4:02:26 AM

I like my machine to be fully capable of everything it can do even if I don't use some of it's features. Your games may even play better if .Net Framework was working. Your vid card uses Framework to accomplish many of it's features. Mine is ATI but it still needs Framework or it's a really a ho-hum card. Video files really just plain suck without Framework. Try to get it to go in. When there's problems, look at the event viewer to see what it reports the trouble to be. Were you able to install your Nvidia control panel for your card?
December 15, 2011 5:12:25 AM

I was able to install the Nvidia control panel without problems. I don't know where the event viewer is (I don't see it in either the system tools folder or the control panel). The installation CD came with 5 other things beyond the drivers.

vReveal was the first and only one successfully installed though I have no idea what it is or what even uses it. I saw that it had something to do with CUDA and harnessing it so I installed it thinking it was going to resolve the playback issue with Vegas Movie Studio (of which is far worse than Virtual Dub). Apparently, it had no effect though I didn't have problems installing it.

Nero Vision Xtra - knowing that I'm into video editing, I figured that this might resolve the playback issue with Vegas Movie Studio. This program won't install though as all I get is "install failed" and this is only when it attempts to install .NET Framework 3.5, a supposed prerequisite. I tried 3 times to install it, but it didn't install. Thinking a restart was required from the vReveal install, I restarted. The third time still failed. In fact, when it comes to anything .NET Framework, I can't install it, including Windows updates (see my other thread in the XP general discussion forum for details).

Cooliris - never installed as this isn't anything I use and I'm very unlikely to use within the next year or two.

XBMC - I've got Winamp for all my audio playing needs (I've added this to startup as I use it almost all the time my computer is running, even right now as I type this), and Virtual Dub for all my video editing needs.

Kylo - pointless to me as my 1280x720 TV is far, far lower in resolution than my single computer monitor is, 1/3 the resolution (and to date, I've never used anything that uses HD since you have to pay a fortune for anything HD).

PhysX - pointless to me as well as I don't play games on my computer. Given that I've always lost my save files any time I reinstall XP and 15+ years from now, I won't be able to play that game again (as I'm faced with for Zeliard). The closest I get to games on my computer any more is through my TV tuner.

Do remember that, outside computers, I'm typically 5 to 10 years behind the times. I may not be involved with HD anything until 2014 and 3D TV until 2018. With computers, I'm still typically 2 to 5 years behind. Unless some component dies or gets to a point where I need an upgrade, I'm unlikely to make changes. That's the case with my OS - I don't foresee upgrading it from XP for at least 2 more years (and I've had it for now 5.87 years and counting).
December 21, 2011 11:25:22 PM

Best answer selected by ulillillia.
!