Laptop with longest battery runtime?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 2:09:36 AM

What is the laptop with the longest battery time? I am not at all
concerned about performance, just how long I can use it for
typing reports or drawing of schematics.

My trusty old Compaq Contura yielded a good 5 hours but it is
worn out now. The enclosure is cracked all over the place,
batteries will fall out unless duct taped and so on -:) . So I
need something new and inexpensive that can replace it. My main
laptop is a Dell but that won't do more than 1.5 hours. Not
enough for travel.

Regards, Joerg.
April 21, 2004 5:19:37 AM

try the hp nc8000...battery lasts about 5 hours....

Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in

> What is the laptop with the longest battery time? I am not at all
> concerned about performance, just how long I can use it for
> typing reports or drawing of schematics.
>
> My trusty old Compaq Contura yielded a good 5 hours but it is
> worn out now. The enclosure is cracked all over the place,
> batteries will fall out unless duct taped and so on -:) . So I
> need something new and inexpensive that can replace it. My main
> laptop is a Dell but that won't do more than 1.5 hours. Not
> enough for travel.
>
> Regards, Joerg.

April 21, 2004 8:05:14 PM

norman <norm@hotmail.com> wrote:

>try the hp nc8000...battery lasts about 5 hours....
>
>Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote in
>
>> What is the laptop with the longest battery time? I am not at all
>> concerned about performance, just how long I can use it for
>> typing reports or drawing of schematics.
>>
>> My trusty old Compaq Contura yielded a good 5 hours but it is
>> worn out now. The enclosure is cracked all over the place,
>> batteries will fall out unless duct taped and so on -:) . So I
>> need something new and inexpensive that can replace it. My main
>> laptop is a Dell but that won't do more than 1.5 hours. Not
>> enough for travel.
>>
>> Regards, Joerg.

I have heard good things about the Thinkpad X31 range, 5 hours easy and
more with the extended battery.
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 8:05:15 PM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:05:14 +0200, "Andy@nospam.co.uk"
<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>I have heard good things about the Thinkpad X31 range, 5 hours easy and
>more with the extended battery.

Have you tried laptopspares.com, 'cause I've heard...just kidding
:-)
I agree about the X31, or a Pentium-M system that can take 2
batteries if needed major battery life, like a T41. Weighs a bit,
though, 2 batteries.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 9:03:09 PM

Hmmm.... JVC Interlink XP series with extended battery up to 9.5 hours.
Older Fujitsu P2000 series with extended battery about 10-11.

Many of the latest mini-notebooks will do something lower - eg. Toshiba
Dynabook SS SX about 5 hours.

Naturally, all real-life timings will be lower than that...

Toshiba A45-S250 benchmarked in at 336 minutes (5.6 hours) at
www.cnet.com review.

Maybe a Thinkpad T40 series with the High-Capacity Li-Ion main battery +
Ultrabay slim secondary battery?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 1:42:51 AM

Thanks to all posters. Emanuel, the X31 has one drawback and that is that I
really don't want to spend 2k or more on a computer. It's kind of sad that
"newer" laptops need two batteries while my old one would do 5 hours with one
quite smallish NiCd without a sweat.

In another forum someone suggests an Alphasmart Dana. I looked at that long
ago and it couldn't do much but the new edition with Palm OS seems to be much
more versatile. Downside is it won't run any DOS or Windows stuff. But it has
enough capabilities now for text, math and even drawing schematics as one
engineer pointed out. So I may get one of these. Supposedly they run all day
long on three AA batteries. Now that's efficiency. Yes, it's made for school
kids but heck, I don't care if it does the job.

Regards, Joerg.
!