Completely Maxtor illiterate

CajunDoll

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello,I have Maxtor connected such that there is a light on. However, there is a silver cord that is plugged into it but nowhere else. How do I find out how much storage space is left on this? I have another smaller storage device plugged in and working. I feel safer with the Maxtor but don't know if it's doing ANYTHING right now. Is there a place I can go online and read directions for use and then ask questions if I still need to do so? Would it hurt to have both external drives plugged in?

External storage devices like the ones you have, need a power connector and a data connector.

As soon as the power connector is plugged in, the indicator light will come ON and stay ON. This light will flash (blink) when the drive is active and data is transferred to and from the drive.

The data connector will usually be USB2, USB3, eSATA, or firewire. Your manual will explain what type you have. This data cable must be connected to the external drive as well as to a suitable port in the computer (USB, eSATA, etc)

Once this is done, the computer will recognize the external drive, assign a drive letter to it, and is now ready for use. It is similar to another disk drive.

CajunDoll

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

Thank you so very much for your answer. I can't find my manual to read about it. I REALLY appreciate your answer. It doesn't answer all my questions but it's certainly a start! :)