SSD to pair with i7-920 and P6x58D Premium?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hey y'all,

I've decided it's time to get an SSD, but I need help. I'm generally extremely competent when it comes to choosing components, but despite my research, SSDs continue to leave me baffled. That's where you (hopefully) come in.

Currently running an i7-920 (d0 stepping), P6x58D Premium (USB/SATA 6.0), built a bit over a year ago. It's primarily for gaming, but I also do a decent amount of image editing, and I use it as a home recording studio for music. Multitasking is slim - alt/tabbing to a browser or mIRC while gaming, that sort of thing. It's rare that I would be running two CPU/memory-intense applications simultaneously.

I am not a patient person, and that's why I'm going to pull the trigger on an SSD. As I mentioned, the PC is primarily for gaming - I know an SSD won't improve the game's performance, but I'd like to see boot/load times on the applications that I run the most frequently shrivel up and die.

I'm looking for a minimum of 120GB, no real cap on size, but I'd like to be in the 160-240GB range, and I'm not particularly interested in spending over $500. Reliability is big for me, too - I want the second time I drop this much money on a SSD to be because I'm upgrading voluntarily, not because I'm replacing a busted drive.

With all that said, I've been looking at the Intel X25-M, the c300 (and 400), and the OCZ Vertex 2 (and soon to be 3). The Intel looks quick, reliable, and from what I can tell, pairs nicely with my current CPU, but is slightly older technology, and doesn't hammer out the same huge speeds as the others. The c300 and Vertex drives look blazing fast, but get low marks for reliability.

I'm really struggling with this decision, especially given that new drives are around the corner (but I have no interest in any of Intel's new offerings - the 510 and 320 look like they're either geared towards users that aren't me, or just not that great at all). Really, though, am I going to see much difference between the X25 and the other drives in my real world use? Are there other drives I should be considering?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Thanks, Tecmo. I think the best thing to do right now is wait and see how the Vertex 3 and c400 stack up once they have officially launched. I've thought about the RevoDrive x2, but people have reported weird issues with BIOS compatibility, with my MoBo in particular (the P6X58D Premium), and the idea of a RAID-based configuration (particularly with OCZ's customer support track record) has always made me a little edgy.

In any event, with new drives knocking on the door, it makes the most sense to wait and see (only trouble with that is that there's always something newer and better around the corner - I've been "waiting and seeing" since I originally built my PC, and keep stalling!).

Thanks again!