Advices for overclock an unlocked Sempron

lancer265

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hi everyone,im new in the forums and i have some doubts about overclocking my unlocked sempron 140 (x2 4400).

I still dont have the money to get a phenom,and i want to overclock my processor to get more fps in some games,right now my speed is 3.3ghz,see the first pic

DSC01049.jpg

I only increased the CPU fecuency from 200 to 250,but i cant go further because of the ram speed,his limit is 1333 mhz and as you can see in the pic its in 1332 mhz,and its a cheap ram its an ADATA Premier 1333.

Im a noob in this of overclocking,i dont even have moved the voltages,these are the stock voltages im using:

DSC01050.jpg

I want to push this sempron up to 3.7 ghz maybe 3.8,im using stock cooler but i have see this processor runing 3.8 with stock cooler in other forums.

Another question,can you tell me wich program is good to test the stability of the cpu and how many hours are required for such test?

So i hope you guys can help me,greetings from Mexico D.F

Solution
you need more tweak in bios ! are you success in unlock it to Athlon 4400 ? step by step when OC ... from 3.3Ghz test like said @jdwii a or use IBT set X20 set max memori burn it maybe just 30 minutes for longtime use prime95
always' keep your eye's at temperature !

- disabled : cool n quite / AMD C1E support, Spread Spectrum
- Disabled CPU smart Fan Control
- Disabled Smart fan Mode
- PCIE at 100
- Advanced clock calibration all core
- try keep NB in 2000 for first stability
- Don't Let voltage at auto set manual
- set memory / raise Vdim max 1.62V, some people use Extremes Ram to 1.65V

good luck

jdwii

Splendid
"Another question,can you tell me wich program is good to test the stability of the cpu and how many hours are required for such test? "

Use Core temp to check temps should always be at 70C or lower
on idle usually 25-35C
MAX below 65C

Use Prime 95 to check if the overclock is stable
i do all 3 test on prime 95 for 1 hour each to see if my CPU is stable(i have a Amd athlon x4 620 OC to 3.25ghz)

uh don't OC your ram to much but usually 5-10% OC on ram should be fine just make sure to feel the ram to see how hot it is and try not to turn up the voltage to much on the ram

you need more tweak in bios ! are you success in unlock it to Athlon 4400 ? step by step when OC ... from 3.3Ghz test like said @jdwii a or use IBT set X20 set max memori burn it maybe just 30 minutes for longtime use prime95
always' keep your eye's at temperature !

- disabled : cool n quite / AMD C1E support, Spread Spectrum
- Disabled CPU smart Fan Control
- Disabled Smart fan Mode
- PCIE at 100
- Advanced clock calibration all core
- try keep NB in 2000 for first stability
- Don't Let voltage at auto set manual
- set memory / raise Vdim max 1.62V, some people use Extremes Ram to 1.65V

good luck

Solution

lancer265

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hi,since nobody send a reply for my post i searched in many other pages how to overclok the processor,finally i made the overclok before i saw the replies in my post xD

Well the things i did was lower the multipliers of the CPU Northbridge frequency,HT link frecuency and memory clock,then i started to increase the Cpu Frecuency to see how much speed the cpu hold without increasing the voltages,in 3.5 ghz i was getting blue screens,then i added some voltaje from 1.424 to 1.450,everything was ok until i reached the 3.6ghz,i had to increase the voltage again from 1.450 to 1.475,i tested this speed with prime95 during 30 minutes and no errors at all,then an 8 hour stress test to see if it was stable and everything seems to working well.

The first Pic is my Actual config:

DSC00020.jpg

The next is the current Pc Status

DSC00025.jpg

The next is the stress test

Torturetest.jpg

@henydiah you say something about rising the ram voltage at 1.62V,can i do that with the cheap ram i have?its a premier adata 1333 ,can i push it to 1.6v?as far as i know its a 1.5v ram,in the next pic are the voltage options i have.

DSC000221.jpg

as a final comment,i was trying to push the processor to 3.7ghz but i got blue screens at 3.64,even when i was rising the cpu voltage still gave me blue screens,do you think that was becuase i didn't rise the Ram voltage? do i have to also increase the south and northbridge voltages to get the 3.7ghz?i'll stay in 3.6 until i find an answer for this couple of doubts i have.

Thanks for the replies :D,i hope you can help me more.

aznwings

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I've heard from a friend that sometimes you will hit a certain frequency that will be unstable, but that may not be your highest clock speed. I don't know if this is true, but in the future, when you have nothing else to do (and have a backup computer) you could probably test this theory out. It sounds mighty risky and I wouldn't test this unless I had a better computer and had no use for this.

Just food for thought.

maheshtanay

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Hi lancer...im using samsung ram 2gb nd another one is hp ram 2gb both are 1333+. is it fine...