Sign in with
Your question

$2500 gaming computer

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2009 3:30:30 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 07/31/2009

BUDGET RANGE: $4000.00 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Work, Gaming, Photo processing, multi-tasking, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All part required

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, frozencpu.com. sidewindercomputer.com, crazypc.com and any other reputable sites

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have done a lot of research and ton of budget sheets to make sure I’m making good decisions however this will be my first liquid cooled over clocked machine and I want to see what people who have built more computers then I think about the parts. It would also be helpful to make sure im truly spending my money wisely.

Case:

ThermalTake Kandalf LCS built-in

Link: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1161&ID=1412]

Ive already purchased this as I wanted to spend some time looking at what exactly I was going to be working with and with that I have already decided to make some changes. First, I am going to add a second single fan radiator mid loop before cooling dual GTX 295’s.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4435055&CatId=499]

Motherboard:

EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Extended ATX SLI Classified Hydro Copper Intel Motherboard

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188050]

I really like the design and the ability to quickly make changes for voltages to maximize overclocking. I know with this I would have to add a mosfet block in order to get the complete liquid cooled board. Any suggestions as to what I should use would be much appreciated help.

CPU:

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache

Link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4240166&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart]

I don’t like the universal waterblock that has come with the kandalf case therefore I was thinking about using a heatkiller v3.0 to cool this beat of a cpu.

Link: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/heatkiller1366.html]

Memory:

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC15000 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1866MHz

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4352318&csid=_25]

I thought this would be a good deal if you can think of something better that is reliable and will increase the output of the computer for not a ton more money please let me know.

Video:

EVGA GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP Hydro Copper Video Card - 1792MB DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, Quad SLI, Hydro Copper Waterblock

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4837815&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp]

I will be using 2 of these in my system for dual SLI and quad processing cards. If you think this is a waste of money and there is a better way to get the bang for my buck let me know.

PSU:

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007]

I would like to think that this is enough to power both of the gtx 295 plus anything else I may add to the system please let me know if this would be enough because I have a feeling that it may not be.

Hard Drive:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4034139&CatId=2459]

I might later on down the road switch to a solid state drive unless someone know a good one for a reasonable price.

Everything else for this system is completely open to last second debated based on price and availability as a DVD player/reader/ Blue Ray isn’t exactly the most important thing until I get the major internal guts done. Im going to run windows vista 64 bit until windows 7 come out as well. Like I said once again any help would be much appreciated as Im spending a lot of money and I really don’t want to waste any of it.

More about : 2500 gaming computer

July 2, 2009 4:25:46 AM

What are you going for? What are you using this system for?
Speed? Bragging Rights? Games? Programming?

4K is a lot of money. It can make a beast of a system.
July 2, 2009 4:36:36 AM

4k and you arent even putting an SSD in it?

and in regards to the GPU's, if you want better bang for your buck, dont drop 1k+ on cards that will outdated soon.
Related resources
July 2, 2009 5:01:48 AM

Well, if you are going to build a 4k machine, at least include a Intel SSD for programs/os. But, really, $4000? Make a $2000 system and upgrade the graphics cards later using the last $2000. Those cards will be out of date in no time anyways. When directx11 comes out, you will be left high and dry. Plus, in all honesty, their is little a $4000 computer could do that a $2000 couldn't. Oh, and replace the corsair ram with some OCZ platinum 1866 or 1600. Fast and cheaper than than the corsair. Also, I don't feel two 295 gtx cards are really necessary. One should be enough. if you feel their is a lack of power, by all means, get another. You could also get two 275 gtx cards and put them in sli. More powerful than a 295 gtx. That motherboard you chose is a good one, but you save a significant amount of money using a Asu P6T board. The classified board is more for competive overclocking. it most likely won't show much of a difference in the real world. Put, since you are using water cooling, the classified will help you get the highest stable overclock. The 1000 w power supply should power all your components. Please, though, if you are spending $4000 get two intel SDD and put them in RAID :) 
July 2, 2009 5:20:05 AM

I see no mention of monitor(s) or resolution. If not at least 30", then you are wasting a shirtful of dosh on those GPU's.

The PSU is overkill, but if it makes your e-peen feel good, go ahead and waste money. A 750 watt unit from PCP&C, Corsair, Seasonic etc. should handle what you propose just fine.
July 2, 2009 6:48:09 AM

does that case even support an E-ATX mobo?
July 2, 2009 1:25:24 PM

I"m not sure about the liguid cooling you will get. Most of the people advise are to don't used thermaltake for liguid cooling. So in your LCS i'm pretty sure the piece you have will be thermeltake.
July 2, 2009 4:29:48 PM

One thing i guess i should have mentioned this to start is 4k is for the entire system not just the components i put there. 2 24 inch monitors, couple of blue ray player/writers, xeno killer pro card, keyboard, mice, speakers, headset all these components are a good chunk of money too. I didnt want to bore people with the crap of those posts though.

This system is purely built play around with overclocking and to internet game for quite a few years to come. I dont wont to waste money on something that will be gone in 2-3 months so thanks for the heads us about the 295 not being worth the money. SO ill hold off on that and get just 2 275 in sli like you said.

As for the solid state raid drive anyone have any suggestions as to what would be for the money? i saw a couple of 80 GB for 189.00 is that worth it as ive heard they are suppose to take another drop in price here soon?

Hello the case does support E-ATX. as well as BTX. Micro ATX and regular ATX so i think i have my basis covered.

Croc as for the power supply being a waste this is also for future upgrades as well. After all my research the powersupply i choose i thought gave me the best bang for the buck plus gave me the ability to run for quite a while.

Thanks to all of you whom have offered opinions, i look forward to more, this has already helped me to save some money and know where i need to spend money in different area's
July 2, 2009 7:27:49 PM

assuming those SSD's are Intel then yes they are worth the money.
July 2, 2009 8:56:44 PM

Nick_m said:
One thing i guess i should have mentioned this to start is 4k is for the entire system not just the components i put there. 2 24 inch monitors, couple of blue ray player/writers, xeno killer pro card, keyboard, mice, speakers, headset all these components are a good chunk of money too. I didnt want to bore people with the crap of those posts though.

I would read this article before you spend $130 on that NIC: Killer Xeno Pro: Do You Really Need A Gaming Network Card?

Doesn't really seem to help much...
July 2, 2009 9:04:53 PM

Wait so in terms of photo-processing, do you mean like Photoshop? what do you do more game?photoshop? run intensive apps? Explain please becuase it will affect what you need in your build...

-Not putting an SSD into that machine is a crime!!
July 2, 2009 10:51:16 PM

Blackhawk im sold on putting in a ssd from intel i got it! I GOT IT lol. As for the Nic unit it might be more of an afterthought now as you have turned me onto this article. While it only marginal sometimes marginal is enough but your right it certainly isnt worth the 130 dollars.

Croc as for the 2 players i was more thinking along the lines of one blue ray player/writer and another just dvd/rom writer as it what ive used for years and it seems to work well. While it is a waste of 80 buck not having to switch between disc when im burning data for my job suits me well as i can watch a movie or do something else at the same time.

Black Hawk im primarly editing photos for my father company as he is a florist and it helps to have great shots of your work. I have adobe photoshop 9 and he just bought another program hell if i know what it is yet though. :? While im not saying im good at it all i would like to be able to learn it.

Once again Croc and blackhawk thanks for the article about wattage and the NIC was a great read.

July 3, 2009 12:40:36 AM

A GTX295 will drive a 24" monitor well for gaming. A second GTX295 will give you very little extra value for your money at 1920x1200. I would suggest that you start with one, and only add the second if your experience indicates that it will help.

Look at the PC P&C silencer910 psu. It is certified for dual GTX295, and is one of the few silver certified efficient psu's around.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Today, intel (or kingston X25-m clone) is the only problem free ssd to get. There is talk of an impending launch from intel of new ssd's in two weeks. It is worth waiting to see what might happen. The products are evolving rapidly.
July 3, 2009 1:50:10 PM

If you are doing serious photo-shopping, just get a good geforce card, if you weren't gaming i would recommend a quadro but a geforce should do fine.
!