Status
Not open for further replies.

damien breadon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i have a microsoft usb intellimouse and it just randomly turns off, when it turns off the only way to get it back on is to restart my computer. dont say anything about ps/2 ports cause im on a laptop that only has usb's. and i went into my device manager and turned "turn this usb off to save power" off. i need help fast, i can barley use a mouse pad

^ +1. I would also borrow/try another mouse & see if the same problem occurs. If it does, try deleting & then reinstalling the USB drivers, and also download & install the Intellimouse app off MS's support site.

damien breadon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
to dunklegend : i have tried 3 different usb's, same problem

to fazers: i have used 2 other mouse, same problem, but i will try what u have suggested

FreyG

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Odd, I was just having the exact same problems with the same mouse on my laptop starting a few days ago...I don't think mine is as bad as yours is but the symptoms are the same, I'll try some things and if I figure it out I'll let ya know...honestly though I just figured the mouse was dying and I wasn't too upset about it seeing as it has been under heavy use for nearly 8 years. So not sure but if I were to guess anything I'd just say get a new mouse, I probably will get the exact same one I have now due to reliability.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
what kind of computer... what OS do you have more than one mouse.. a built in trackpad or something? what models were the mice you tried it with.. what brand.. do you have the mouse software installed? Is it wireless or corded

damien breadon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
mouse is corded, i have windows xp, its a laptop (toshiba) hase a mouse pad (if thats what a trackpad is) my device manager isnt powering down the mouse

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I worked on a laptop where the trackpad wouldn't respond, when connected to power.
As soon as you unplugged the adapter it would work.

Have you tried using a PS/2 mouse?

ScuzziOne

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Strange, I've got a logitech Mx518 USB mouse under windows Vista 64-bit that has begun behaving similarly over the last few days. Now that I think about it, there was a windows update that automatically installed only a day or two before I noticed this behavior... wonder what that update was...

Anyway, when it turns off I just unplug it from the usb port, wait for the computer to see the device gone and then plug it back in to get going again... at least until the next time it stops!

I too just thought my mouse was dying until I came across this thread...

ScuzziOne

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Looks like the Windows updates I'm thinking of were:

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 on October 2, 2009

and

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB968389) on October 3, 2009

Did the others of you with problems also get these updates?

G

I have the same problem with a newly installed WinXP and a Trackball in an industrial Sigle Board Computer...!, first I've disabled the option in the Device manager-> Root USB...>Energy Management..> the situation happens less often but it happens... and I can't find any solution for this.

I have this situation in 4 computers, they 4 have the same configuration in WinXP and in the BIOS.

No idea what is happening

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Intellipoint mouses are notorious for developing shorts in the wire. The damage is done during the manufacturing process, when the top half of the mouse is pressed together with the bottom the wire is pinched. In time, it will short out.

Buy a new mouse.

G

Rubbish.
I have a Logitech G9 and exactly the same thing happens.
It's drivin mi nuts.

landshark111

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
i have a custom built computer that is 2 years old from CyberpowerPC, it has had windows reinstalled on it 2 times due to viruses, lately the mouse randomly turns off and then back on a few seconds later as if it was unplugged my computer makes the duh duh sound when it shuts off then back on, its killin me i play MMORPG games and my mouse does this all the damn time, also when i try to play the games i try to move my mouse while holdin in the right button and it doesnt work as if i wasnt clickin but i am, i have no idea what the *** it is doing and i have barely any computer software knowledge....help

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I agree I also had problems.Best thing to do is to throw them away.

kbarkan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Sorry to gang-necropost, but hoping this has some people still watching it.

I've had this problem for a couple years. My problem is that I am partially disabled, and use a foot mouse. Bili, the manufacturer, has been very kind and replaced it three times over the past 2 years. Every other foot mouse I've tried sucks, so buying another type isn't really an option.

They say cables are fragile and to do whatever I can to avoid stressing or stretching them. Unfortunately, the cables aren't long enough to reach from where I use the foot mouse to where I have to dock the laptop without stressing the cable. Last week, I unwrapped the 3rd replacement they sent and used a very nice 6' extension cable to attach it to the computer.

The mouse turned off within an hour of use. I can't win.

Windows XP v 2003 with SP3 on a ThinkPad T400.

Further details. Based on another tip, I looked in my registry and found there were 20 devices listed under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

17 of them have the identical values:
[cpp]
(Default) REG_Z (value not set)
DriverDate REG_Z 7-1-2001
DriverDateData REG_BINARY 00 80 62 c5 c0 01 c1 01
DriverDesc REG_Z HID-compliant mouse
DriverVersion REG_Z 5.1.2600.0
InfPath REG_Z msmouse.inf
InfSection REG_Z HID_Mouse_Inst
InfSectionExt REG_Z .NT
MatchingDeviceId REG_Z hid_device_system_mouse
ProviderName REG_Z Microsoft[/cpp]

Hoping anyone has had success in making Windows XP stop the powerdown shenanigans.

techster_65

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
If anyone still has this issue, what I did was squeeze the usb connection together (male end) (and not too much) so it was more snug when I plugged it into the usb port. rebooted and this seems to have solved my issue. I guess it was just not making a good contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.