Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
July 11, 2011 4:49:20 AM

If my Intel 2600K overclocking to 4.5GHz with Cooler Master V6, can my PC run 24/7 ?

More about : overclocking

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
July 11, 2011 6:10:47 AM

Hi and welcome to Tom's hardware forum.

What stability test you ran for know that's stable?
m
l
July 11, 2011 12:21:13 PM

saint19 said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's hardware forum.

What stability test you ran for know that's stable?

i didn't overclock yet, so not able to do any test. I just wonder can I run 24/7 if I overclock it ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
July 11, 2011 10:19:49 PM

For now that you need run an stability test program like LinX, prime95 or OCCT for at least 8 hours.
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:32:46 AM

saint19 said:
For now that you need run an stability test program like LinX, prime95 or OCCT for at least 8 hours.

Thank you. ;) 
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:55:08 AM

you really don't need to run a stability test until AFTER you OC the CPU, also it depends what it is running on it 24 hours a day. If idling it is unlikely to pose a problem. However the Overclock varies for each CPU, how long you want it to last, and how stable it has to be. I would say that your odds are pretty good, but not 100% don't ever relly on getting a specific overclock for a specific stability because every CPU/MOBO/Heatsink/RAM Combo will lead to different OC results. That being said the cooler is pretty good so you shouldn't have a problem achieving that OC
m
l
July 12, 2011 4:35:02 AM

jamie_1318 said:
you really don't need to run a stability test until AFTER you OC the CPU, also it depends what it is running on it 24 hours a day. If idling it is unlikely to pose a problem. However the Overclock varies for each CPU, how long you want it to last, and how stable it has to be. I would say that your odds are pretty good, but not 100% don't ever relly on getting a specific overclock for a specific stability because every CPU/MOBO/Heatsink/RAM Combo will lead to different OC results. That being said the cooler is pretty good so you shouldn't have a problem achieving that OC

This is my trading pc, so I on it for 24/5, from monday till friday. I do a lot of backtesting, and the pc will not be in idle mode.
m
l
July 12, 2011 5:06:13 PM

In order to answer your question for sure you will need to overclock the processor yourself up to 4.5ghz, check around OC forum for some guides on how to do this. After that you need to run prime 95 for about 24hours. if prime 95 reports no errors than your OC is stable and should run okay 24/5 under high loads. however you should also have a look at your thermals after you run it. If the Processor is running too hot it might not last long for long term use.

Is there a specific reason why it needs to be 4.5Ghz? Because if you absolutely need it to be able to run at that speed you may need to acquire a few CPUs in order to guarantee it depending on the Motherboard.

Best of Luck!
m
l
July 13, 2011 2:07:49 AM

jamie_1318 said:
In order to answer your question for sure you will need to overclock the processor yourself up to 4.5ghz, check around OC forum for some guides on how to do this. After that you need to run prime 95 for about 24hours. if prime 95 reports no errors than your OC is stable and should run okay 24/5 under high loads. however you should also have a look at your thermals after you run it. If the Processor is running too hot it might not last long for long term use.

Is there a specific reason why it needs to be 4.5Ghz? Because if you absolutely need it to be able to run at that speed you may need to acquire a few CPUs in order to guarantee it depending on the Motherboard.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the advices. :) 
m
l
July 13, 2011 3:06:55 AM

No problem it's what I like to do. Give me a "Best answer" if you want to show appreciation.
m
l
!