era2006

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i want to ask about what i buy now Phenom X3 710 or Athlon X4 620
they in the same price and i can not buy 720 because it is expensive for me.

i use computer in browsing and Programming ,rendering , sometimes for gaming

thanks

Solution
athlon 620 for sure, i dont even know why amd is so sprung on the idea of 3 cache, it hardly helps, in this review, they downclocked a 965 to 2.6ghz to see what the 6mb l3 really does, and it doesnt do much.

http://techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X4_620/

loneninja

Distinguished
Browsing and programming shouldn't show any noticable difference between the products. Most games will run better on the Phenom II X3 due to it having 6mb L3 cache while the Athlon II X4 has no L3 cache and the place it most suffers compared to Phenom II is gaming. I'm not sure what program you use to render, or what type of rendering you do, but programs like 3ds max perform better with the 4th core than it does with extra L3 cache.

Do a little research, Athlon II X4 620 is a 2.6Ghz quad built on the same 45nm K10 architecture as Phenom II and performs nearly as well in most applications, it tends to be more powerful as Phenom I was as well.

era2006

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
thanks for all replies
i as i said not a a big player i sometimes play for a while only ;
about 6M L3 which in X3 710 i saw this link about the value of cache http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cache-size-matter,1709.html
i was surprise that the 6M L3 without the improvement that may X4 with an extra Core do .
also i would add one more CPU to competition which is X2 550 BE it is dual Core at 3.1Ghz but how for that be better that X3 and X4 ;

thanks so much for ur help

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

620 is not a joke look up benchmarks before u start talking *** like usual.

the 620 is still a joke... while it does better in 4 core apps, most of those programs arent even used on a daily basis. I would rather have a strong tri as opposed to a weak quad.... The x4 would be fine if the OP is willing to upgrade as soon as he sees the CPU bottlenecking his entire system.

era2006

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
what about if i bought X4 620 and unlocked the Locked L3 6Mb Cache is this will give it all advantages of 4 cores and 6MB L3 Cache
i assume i may make overclock to get the best performance without ricking with my Processor .

in my opinion i think the best is 550 be and then 710 and 620 is the last one this what i see but is it right to by 550 be or any one of them

thanks so much for this discussion

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

by your logic you should have a dual core not a crap quad. my e8500 dominates your quad by your own logic:

faster single threaded
lower power consumption
requires hardly any cooling

need i go on? your argument = fail on your own system.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I would go with the 620 because of the extra core and they're both not bad in performance. You would be fine going either way. Dont let some of these people fool you, the 620 is a pretty good cpu, performing about on par with the Q6600 in most apps.

What are you talking about? what quad? I use a dual cause I really don't need a quad ATM.... The 620 is a weak quad, if you would use a tad of common sense you would see that it is the 9950 all over again. Who gives a *** if its a low power CPU? Who gives a *** if it requires hardly any cooling??? Are you counting your pennies when the elec. bill arrives? What does you E8500 have to do with my CPU? Please explain cause im lost here.....

From Anand :

At 3.25GHz the Athlon II X4 ends up faster than the even more expensive Q8400in some cases, and gets much closer in others. In applications where the large L3 cache isn't missed, the overclocked Athlon II can end up being a poor man's Phenom II X4 955. But looking at the Left 4 Dead performance, there's no such thing as a free lunch - the overclocked Athlon II isn't quite that good.

That is IF HE WILL BE OVERCLOCKING HIS CPU AND HE STATED THAT HE WILL NOT......

So @ stock the chip is CRAP, if all of you are into low-end quad's and suggesting that they are a good buy then I guess yall are entitled to your own opinion... In my book the CPU is crap, end of story....

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
^*** ING i7. its not a 'low end quad' its just a CHEAP quad - do not confuse $$$ with performance especially when you are dealing with AMD.

dude honestly, the athlon x4 is more than acceptable processor.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
And that's the point. For what the OP wants to do, the 620 for $99 is by far the best bang for the buck, and offers better performance than a 3 legged dog on the software he will most often run. What's wrong with a cheap quad when 100 quid is all you got?