Pci-ex1 / Asus M2N68-LA(narra3) motherboard

dragonblue14

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I am planning on upgrading this with a graphics card that requires a pci-ex1 slot.(geforce 8400gs) and i was wondering if it would fit into the slot?
I've read elsewhere that it this motherboard only supports graphics cards that are pci-ex16, is that true?

Wolfshadw

Titan
The specs for the motherboard don't specifically say you cannot use a graphics card in the PCI-Ex1 slot, but it does say that you cannot use the PCI-Ex16 slot concurrently with the onboard graphics. I'd probably stay away from attempting to use the x1 slot for graphics.

1) What's in your PCI-Ex16 slot that you can't use it for graphics?
2) I've not seen an 8400GS PCI-Ex1 card (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I've not seen one) can you link to it?

-Wolf queries

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, that is a PCI-Ex16 card (look at the additional images). Looks like a typo on Best Buy's site. I would also point you at Newegg's listing for the same card which clearly states it's a PCI-Ex16 card.

Your power supply (if it's the one that came with the system) should be enough to power a card in the PCI-Ex16 slot (if I remember correctly, up to 75 watts via the PCI-E slot). It's only those graphic cards that require and extra power connector at the rear of the card that your system probably can't handle.

The 8400GS you linked would probably work without a hitch, but I would ask:

1) What's the purpose of the upgrade.
2) What's the budget.
3) If you look at the sticker on the power supply, it should state maximum power. What does it say?

-Wolf queries

dragonblue14

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I'm upgrading because this integrated 6150SE card i currently have cannot run any new games. Crysis,DOW2..
Budget is around $100
The power supply is 300 watts.