Possible Graphics Card Failure

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hello All, hopefully you can help....I have a feeling I have bricked my HD4870 :pfff:

I was using riva tuner to underclock my GPU- I wanted to get the settings as low as possible to silence my PC while browsing the internet and doing less intensive tasks.

I moved the memory frequency slider to the minimum setting and applied it- after that, the screen flashed and since then, I have not been able to boot into Windows (correction- the computer boots, but there are blocks all over the screen so I cannot see the desktop) I can boot into safe mode, but there are 'lines' all over the screen, so it's difficult to see what's going on.

I wouldn't usually be worried, but blocks and lines are appearing all over the screen, even when POSTing....have I damaged my card?

I cannot get into the Catalyst Control Center because it says it cannot load the driver (although Windows does say a driver is present) If I try and download the driver to install I'm unable to do so because safe mode won't allow me to install....basically, I'm after a way of installing the driver so I can get into the CCC- once there, I hope to be able to reset the frequencies to maybe get things back to normal.

It's ironic that I appear to have bricked my GPU by under clocking...!

Any help really would be appreciated, otherwise I have just made a big £140 mistake!

Go to add remove programs.
Uninstall Rivatuner.
Uninstall everything ATI using the uninstaller there.
Shutdown, and for good measure, pull the card out and reseat it.
Reboot, Windows should load the default VGA drivers.
Reinstall the Catalyst package.

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hi Jitpublisher,

Thanks for the reply. I can't do what you suggest, I'm afraid. The only way I can get a 'useable' image is by going into safe mode. I cannot install or uninstall anything from there- when attempting to remove catalyst control center i get the following message:

The Windows Installer server could not be accessed

I have tried starting the service manually but it won't let me as I'm running in safe mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hey,

With useable image do you mean no stripes or what ever?
since if thats the case i doubt its broken seeing as it only occurs with drivers loaded etc, thus making it a software issue

also you should be able to uninstall stuff in safe mode, do you have admin rights btw?

winningfreak

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
this is really interesting, I dont see why your card makes a lot of noise in the first place, I have the Sapphire ATI 4870 (1 GB ) and its run silent when its playing games the only time its loud is during the fan test witch takes like 2 seconds...

Anyhow, Try removing the card and reinserting it, it might reset it not sure though.

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Hello all, thanks for the replies. When I say 'useable' what I really mean is that I can use the computer to carry out tasks, but the lines are still there. Like I said, I'm concerned simply because the lines are there during POST, which leaves me with the feeling it's a hardware issue.

I found a little app that starts the necessary services to uninstall CCC and drivers etc but I can't get a clean install- I'm now planning on reinstalling Windows so that I have a clean slate to work from.

Does anyone feel that using a GPU BIOS utility to flash the frequencies would be the best bet? (I forget the name of the software)

Cheers.

I thought it was possible to uninstall programs from Safe Mode. I've removed a few troublesome applications from there, can you kill Rivatuner and delete the profiles from there?
Another way might be the 'last good' option, effectively rolling the system back.
Failing that a Windows Repair would be my next course of action, it's much less damaging that a full format/reinstall-And a lot quicker!

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hello all. I've now reinstalled Windows and the same result- lines all over the screen. Looks like I will have to buy a new one :(

Do you have a second system to test the card with? Its worth a try to install it as a new card and install the drivers and catalyst and mess with the settings there.

I feel it should be a fixable setting but if you cant figure it out then as hundredislandboy suggested, RMA it...

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

I would like to RMA it but I've been meddling- it has a third party cooler and special Zalman RAM heatsinks stuck all over it- I fear that if I send it back, they will know I have tampered with it.

I'm assuming this would actually void my warranty?

Thanks.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Assuming you still have the original cooler, packaging, and you can send it back with original contents, there's no way they can tell you had the Zalman stuff on it and would have to honor the warranty. Same goes for Intel, no way to tell if the CPU was overclocked. I think they only look for obvious signs of abuse (ie lapping, flashed BIOS on GPUs, removed TIM, etc...)

I had an ATI X850XT that I changed the cooling on, it went bad. I sent it back and all they do is send you another working card. You will have your new card before they could even look at it. They dont really care IMO either.

I would reassemble and RMA it if I were you...

simon_t

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

A most cunning plan! I have reassembled and now about to get an RMA number...I guess I have nothing to lose! Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.