Need help about my RAM

bought new Motherbord - CPU - RAM and powersupply:
Motherbord - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-990FXA-UD3 (Socket M2)
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 970
RAM - 8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)
Powersupply - 750W

Thing is, i had some problem with FPS drop in every game, i mean EVERY game. Could run the game at max grafic and have rly good fps but after 1hr or 2 ill drop down til 5-20 FPS and i got to hit windows key wait 10 sec and then open the game again "keep reading ill get to the point about overclocking" So as you see the ram should run 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.65 V. but my motherbord didnt do it by itself :/ so i tryed to do it myself. But that didnt go to well it was on 1033MHZ 7-7-7-20 1-50V So when i changed the settings to what it should be on my computer didnt start upp.. everything was black but it was running. so i "reset" the BIOS and now my fans and stuff are running really slow. Do you think i broke the PW or did something els? everything is back to normal in the BIOS but my computer or PW is fuckt upp.. so any1 know anything about that? ^^
13 answers Last reply
More about need
  1. It sounds like you've got a few problems. Lets just address one, the ram. The memory controller on Phenom II CPU's like the X4 970 are limited to DDR3 1333 speeds. So it wouldn't run at DDR3 1600 out of the box. This would require overclocking, which may entail extra voltage, although for DDR3 1.65 V is already pretty high.

So the ram is trying to be run oiut of spec. For some reason the motherboard is trying to run the ram at DDR3 1066 speed, which is quite a bit underclocked (possibly it is doing this in order to run the very low timings you tried to force it to run). Either way, running the ram out of spec is alot harder than trying to run the CPU out of spec.

If getting into the BIOS is still an option, go and try to manually set the ram speed. For now, use DDR3 1333Mhz and the 9-9-9-24 timings @ 1.65V. If you've changed anything else in the BIOS, try loading fail safe defaults.

Which P/W are you talking about? A BIOS system P/w or windows? Please clarify what this other problem is.
  2. hmm my be taken as Password xD But my friends use it for PW = Powersupply, so my bad for that hehe ^^
  3. Prayer1990 said:
    hmm my be taken as Password xD But my friends use it for PW = Powersupply, so my bad for that hehe ^^

No, no. PSU not PW..
  4. emh, just saw now. The info about my ram is what my computer is running it at - Here is an link the RAM i use http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=597381 Should run at 9-9-9-24 and 1600MHZ, but cant my cpu run the ram at 1600 then?
  5. Ok so focus on getting the ram back into spec, then we can see whats up at that point.
  6. my ram is back to normal though, but after i did the "overclock" my computer seems to struggle to get all the fans going, take's about 1-2 sec before they back to full speed. BUT i use 2 "power cable" dunno if you can say that though.. in my grafic card. and if i unplug one of them my fans will start instant but my computer dont start.
    If i use both the computer will struggle again but i can get it on and use it -.-' this happend after i tryed to make the ram run at 1600mhz 9-9 so on
  7. Ok, what brand PSU?
    Since you reset the BIOS, have you gone back to check what sort of settings you have for things like fan speed control and the like? I would check to see what options are now enabled in the BIOS.

So what graphics card are you using? And are you using both P4 12V power connectors for the motherboard?
  8. when i got my comp on i used the load fail-safe defaults,
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series is my grafic card. And useing P6 and p5 for grafic card and P1 and P2 for motherbord
    Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

Do i have to into the BIOS to show you my settings?
  9. http://i.imgur.com/L7Mdm.png photo of my system, my help ya a bit as i dont understand a shet about that xD im pretty bad with ram and stuff like that :)
  10. does the problem exist when you run the RAM at its default speed? If it does I would blame your tinkering with the ram settings. most RAM won't run at the manufacturer timings/speed when run in an AMD motherboard because they are set up differently than most RAM is measured at. If you don't tell us about your PSU aside from wattage it is harder to troubleshoot PSU problems. It's unlikely that you damaged anything on your own unless you touched Voltage settings, but I doubt the PSU is causing the problems. On the Motherboard manual is the RAM on their excepted DIMMs list? if it isn't than you will probably have to fiddle with the sticks to get them to run at good settings. Just to be sure, you aren't changing the FSB speed? (or whatever they call it on AMD systems) that could cause some problems because you would be overclocking the CPU instead of just the RAM.
  11. i did increase the volt on the ram from 1.50 to 1.65. Was that they told me to do though xD but i made the RAM run at 1333MHz and everything looks more stable now. but i get some smal freeze every now and then "when i play games or have program open" but it's no more FPS drop " thats good" Can i make the ram run at 1600mhz with 1.5volt as it seems to crash on 1.65Volt :/

Link to my PSU http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6643
  12. Increasing the voltage makes it run more stable, but takes a tole on the life of the ram if you put it above the recommended settings. Setting the RAM to 1.65 volts should not be the cause of any instability, especially since it is the manufacturers specifications. I would probably run the RAM at 1333mhz and tighten up the timings. try setting them to 7-7-7 rather than 9-9-9 and if that doesn't work set the timings to 8-8-8. AMD systems are more sensitive to timings than speed anyways.
  13. Oh yeah, when you are done run a memory test like x86 Memtest and some prime 95 long-run stability tests to make sure everything is stable before you start using it regularly
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Games RAM Powersupply Overclocking