Old Sytem build revisted, Does not post.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Hey guys, when I built my new computer, I used parts from my old system like the DVD Drive- but I had enough parts lying around for a whole new computer (provided I "stole" an old CD-ROM drive from my Old Pentium 3 Desktop (that I used in my overclocking science fair project and got 2nd place!), and since I couldn't find my SATA Cable anywhere, I had to use the PATA 80 GB Hard Drive instead. This meant that I had two PATA and no SATA drives on the board.

Anyway, the problem is that the computer will: Boot; give hard drive activity (I can feel the hard drive thrashing about); The CD-ROM drive will flash to life (but won't open its drive); and the CPU Fan will work wonderfully. However, When I plug the computer into any monitor- it doesn't give a signal.

This rig is going to be for my Brother- who wants to be able to play Crysis and other games on his computer without using my Father's outdated Pentium 4 and 6800.

This rig's specs are:

Athlon 4000+ X2, 9600 GT, M26GT3-SVP JetWay Mobo (thats all I had), 80 GB PATA hard Drive, PATA CD-ROM DRIVE, 512 MB of old DDR2 RAM.

Currently, there is no FAN inside the computer- but I don't think it is needed for such a basic test. Besides, it isn't that demanding.

Any Suggestions?

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I have a fan for the CPU heatsink (I'm not that dumb), but I don't have a case fan. I don't think it is needed for a simple POST (nothing else)