Thinking about buying a GTX260, which of these?

spiderdan

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I built a pc last winter and have been using the integrated graphics. Well, having a decent pc has expanded my uses into some basic gaming and those integrated graphics simply won't cut it anymore. I am trying to find a card that will give me a lot of bang for my buck, and, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, the GTX260 is right at the sweet spot between performance and price. I'm currently looking at the two below. I doubt there's much difference, but would either of these hold an advantage over the other? Maybe overclockability? (there's a fun word)

ASUS ENGTX260/HTDI/896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PNY VCGGTX260CXPB GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Also, if I can get a better card for about the same cash, let me know. I would like to stay under $150 but can go a bit higher if it means better value. Doesn't necessarily have to be a GTX260. Thanks ahead of time!

According to the Newegg specs, the cards are the same 216 core units, both have 3 year manufacturer warranties and come with the same free games. The only real difference is the Asus is $10 cheaper.
I'd get the Asus, I like the colour;)

The ATI competitor is the 1Gb HD4870 if you want to look into that. Each card outperforms the other in one game or another but overall it's a tie for performance.

Overclocking is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get!
Do not base a purchasing decision on overclocking potential unless it's well known and reported, even then results vary from chip-to-chip.