XPSC and Haf 912 Options

G

Hi.

I would like to get an xpsc cooling system but I'm not sure how I would be able to mount it. I prefer placing it inside the case so here are my options...

1. rs240 attached on other side of front case structure.
PRO - long radiator CON - thinner radiator, indirect fan, hdd case behind reduces airflow, needs
customized mounting

= is radiator [ is inner case metal x is fan I is outer case plastic

= [ x I
= [ x I picture to explain...
= [ x I
= [ x I

2. rx120 in case rear
PRO - thicker radiator, direct fan CON - shorter radiator, possible tight fit

3. rx120 in front upper position
PRO - thicker radiator CON - shorter radiator, needs customized mounting

4. rx120 in top foward position
PRO- thicker radiator, direct fan CON - shorter radiator

5. rs240 on top of case
PRO - longer radiator, direct fan CON - thinner radiator

I know that the rx240 is much better and I really want it but it doesn't in any fan slot inside the case. I can't do on top of the case either cause my case is inside a shelf-like thing and the wood on top would block it. Would it be ok if I mounted it inside the case, like secured to the 5.25'' bays? I have lots of fans in my case and airflow is good. Or should I pick one of the 5 options?

G

Oh really! Yes I would! Thank you.

Ok, couple of questions first,
How much clearance is above the case to the top of the cubbyhole?
How handy are you with/do you have access to: screwdriver and drill?
Probably using screwdriver, that top piece at the back should be removable, possibly giving you the option of a rear topmount position (if its not just a huge hole)
The middle drive cage is removable anyway, but the lower one would need the rivets drilled out to remove, this gives you the option of front mounting on the inside or bottom mounting towards the front if that makes sense to you?
If mounting on the bottom, consider drilling a few hundred 3mm holes in the floor, then you can mount two fans on the bottom of the rad pulling air into the case then the rad, then two fans on top, you should be able to either find alternative places for hard drives or flip the lower hdd cage upside down and screw that to the bottom of the optical drive cage, still on mobile so sorry for any spelling errors :)
Will edit later for clarity,
Moto

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Out of the 5 options I would choose option 5. However, Moto suggests modding the case so that you will be able to fit an RX240 in there.

I think we first need to know what you are wanting to cool and whether or not you have future upgrade plans.

^You may not even need an RX240 to cool your stuff, an RS240 might suffice. That all depends on what you want to cool.

I like my things to look good, and have great aesthetics. Therefore I like the thinner radiators more than the thicker ones. However, I do like Moto's idea- mount the RX240 at the bottom of the case.

G

There is 7cm clearance on the top and the rx240 wouldn't fit because it is 6.35cm not including the fan. Another option I forgot about is mounting it on the top of the case while mounting the fans on the other side of the top. would that be ok?
I'm handy with the screwdriver but not so much with the drill.
"Probably using screwdriver, that top piece at the back should be removable, possibly giving you the option of a rear topmount position (if its not just a huge hole)"
Um. Sorry but I don't quite understand what piece is removable.

I already removed the middle cage but I haven't thought about the lower one. I'm not sure about drilling holes at the bottom of my case but I know where I can put the hdd in one of the 5.25'' bays with a 3.5'' bay adapter. If I do remove the lower hdd cage I have room for a rx240 it in the front. If I mount it in front I can also put 4 fans on the radiator. I currently have 1900 rpm 110cfm scythe fans which i can mount in the very front and put the radiator next it behind it and put on the included 1700rpm fans. Will this fan setup be ok? Rpms are pretty similar.

G

I'm going to first get the cooling system just for my cpu(i5 2500k) which i will overclock and soon after I will upgrade the gpu and buy a waterblock along with it.

Aesthetics for me is not a huge deal. I don't might having a rad outside since to me it actually makes it look more interesting. :p

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I'm going to first get the cooling system just for my cpu(i5 2500k) which i will overclock and soon after I will upgrade the gpu and buy a waterblock along with it.

Aesthetics for me is not a huge deal. I don't might having a rad outside since to me it actually makes it look more interesting. :p

You can also mount the rad on top / outside the case. But to me, it doesn't look so good. Some do look good like in the attached picture.

You can check out this guys build log, he also has the Haf 922.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/569118-project-haf-envy-water-cooled-haf.html

^^The above picture is not mine, I just saw it somewhere and liked it so i downloaded it.

Already explored the roofmount option crome, he has little clearance,
Given the ifo given now I vote for removing drive cages, holes in floor and the four fan setup I described earlier, which allows for the RX rad to be used which will let Op add the gpu block down the line,
When I said about removing a bit off the top Op, I meant the mesh/guard on top which after searching, is removable but does leave a bloody big hole :p
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
RS240 for CPU is fine, once you add a GPU, you'll need at least another RS240...there are other options as well...but you'll need more radiator...is my point. If you had a 200mm fan mount up front (might involve modding the drive cages), you could go that route or a RX120 in the bottom. (I think that's what I can tell, looking at those pics)

G

K. I was supposed to get it on my birthday but I couldn't wait and bought it now. >.>
So... I was planning to set it up on the bottom, but after setting it up, the length was too long to fit between the front of the case and my stiff power supply cables. I was about to cut a hole at the bottom to sort of lower my radiator a little below my cables but than I don't know why but I decided to just do the same thing but in the front. I mounted my fans and radiator in the front and I'm cutting a rectangle in the front bezel. All I have to do is cut the mesh/plastic instead of metal(cleaner and easier). I'm not done setting it up but I'm going to put non-glossy matte-ish black tape on the part I cut out and make screw holes and attach it to my radiator(to be able to filter things). I'm going to put black tape on the edges of the rectangular hole on the front bezel to not scratch my radiator and make everything look smoother. It doesn't actually look that bad. The CM logo might restrict airflow though but my fans have high cfm so I don't think it matters. I don't know about static pressure much but because my fans aren't good with it maybe I should get better static pressure fans. Whatever it is.

I use taxidermist tape, its fabric, non-conductive and non-shiny,
plus its low tack enough that you can unwrap and redo if things go wrong (Which they will)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-Taxidermy-Black-Fabric-Cloth-Tape-/270774833143?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimalCollectables_SM&hash=item3f0b700ff7
when you shop for fans, look for the cfm number, higher is better, it moves more air but pay attention to the noise DB number as well, you dont want a fan that moves 100+cfm if its about 40Db lol :p
pluspoints for the experimentation as well man, your getting the hang of this hehe
try one way see if it fits, nope, not unless I........
then you try another way and weigh up which is the best option :p
All good and looking forward to pictures.
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A lot of watercooling loop setup has to do with planning, ingenuity and creativity to mod your case to meet your needs.

Some of the very best WC loop setups are those where some moderate to extensive modding has been done so the case fits the loop, not the other way around.

G

I messed up. I screwed the radiator. Its leaking now at the bottom. T.T I'm getting a replacement.
Tip:
If anybody's going to put a radiator in the front like me. Don't bother cutting the bezel. Found out later on, you can just unscrew the mesh. *facepalm I should've done that and cover the sides with something. Would've caused me less trouble and saved my radiator.