Sythix

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
So I recently got a new 4870 gpu and was worried about my cpu. Yes I know mine is old, but last I heard it's still pretty good to some extent. So my question is should I upgrade my cpu to an i5 build or will my 6000+ not bottleneck my 4870. Sorry for the grammar it's late and I'm tired. By the way, my mobo isn't even recognized by everest and it's some sort of phoenix bios variation. I'm not an expert on mobos

Solution
I had the X2 6000 and it played Crysis fine when it first came out. Now if that tells you anthing. also it had the Geforce 8800 Ultra as the GPU. You should be fine for another 2 years I would say till you would have to worry about upgrading. But as of right now it's not really worth it. Now on the other hand if you had the 5870 then I would say yes upgrade your CPU.

And if you want to get more life out of it. You could hit 3.2 - 3.4GHz with that chip. Yes I know your not going to git 4GHz because at 3.3GHz your gonna need tones of voltage.

Sythix

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I play everything haha, Aion, Fps, RPG, everything. But generally resource heavy games. Most of my question is: Is the amd 64x2 6000+ still viable for modern games?

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Its really not the greatest, and you would definitely benefit from upgrading your cpu, but the 6000+ isnt THAT bad. I mean if you are having troubling frame rates on your games then I would consider upgrade, but its not terrible i suppose. Sorry if my wording is a little bad, im drunk and its late.....

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I had the X2 6000 and it played Crysis fine when it first came out. Now if that tells you anthing. also it had the Geforce 8800 Ultra as the GPU. You should be fine for another 2 years I would say till you would have to worry about upgrading. But as of right now it's not really worth it. Now on the other hand if you had the 5870 then I would say yes upgrade your CPU.

And if you want to get more life out of it. You could hit 3.2 - 3.4GHz with that chip. Yes I know your not going to git 4GHz because at 3.3GHz your gonna need tones of voltage.

Solution