CPU Cooler - Will it fit?

sberganini

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I am ordering components to build an AMD Phenom II X4 945 (95 watt version) on a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H in an Apevia X-Cruiser2 case with an Antec EA650 power supply. I would like to use the new Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, Rev. 2 CPU cooler, but I am unsure whether the cooler will physically fit on this configuration without coming into physical contact with any other motherboard components or the power supply. Any thoughts on this?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Wrong Wrong!! The 7 is for Intel CPU's ,you want the 64 Pro for AMD CPU's....:)
Chech it out at Frostytech.com......:)

sberganini

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
jimishtar and dokk2 - thanks for the replies. I really appreciate advice from the veterans here. It will help me make the right choices the first time.

dokk2 ... I have checked with the folks at Arctic Cooling. They tell me the NEW Freezer 7 Pro REV2 is designed for both Intel and AMD processors. Basically, this new version of the cooler will mount any AMD chip in the AM2+ or AM3 socket. The cooler gets good reviews, but my initial concern was the physical fit. The cooler is approximately 4" long x 5" high by 2.2" wide and weighs in at a little over 18 ounces. So, that is still my main question.

jimishtar ... do you have experience with this cooler? What is your overall opinion of it?

Since my original post I've been having second thoughts on the Apevia X-Cruiser2 case. There are a few reviews indicating, while the case is nice to look at, it has some air flow issues. So, I'm now leaning toward the NZXT Guardian 921. What do you think of this case in terms of the air flow and ease of working inside it for initial build and follow-up changes?

sberganini

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Zutarano ... thanks for the comment. Yes, you're right about the Apevia case width. Just another reason that I've decided to use the NZXT Guardian 921 case instead.