Gatheredbob

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Hey everyone! I have 3 SATA hard drives. All of which are 7200RPM and 2 of which are in a JBOD to create a 1300 GB partition. Anyway before put the HDs in the JBOD config i backed up all of my data which came out to be 350GB to the 1 HD that was not in the JBOD. When transfering the data back to the two HDs in the JBOD i was averaging 60 MB/s Mega Bytes to clarify. MY MOBO has 3Gb/s SATA II Interface. So i was wondering what is the average speed you guys have while transfering files to and from other HDs and what might I do to speed up my transfers.

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
My HDD:
Samsung HD103SJ (SATA2, 32MB Cache)

Samsung_HD103_SJ_Read_Benchmark.png

As you can see from the screen-shot, my average transfer rate is 112 megabytes per second.

A format always helps (so long as you can back files up or don't have anything valuable. A defrag. is a good thing too but if you don't do one often then it will take virtually forever. Disk cleanups are small-scale but can speed things up a little. Delete any temporary files that you don't need anymore too, obvious one.

What model(s) of drive(s) are you using?

drevin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
The size of the transferred files has a big effect on the transfer speed. I have two 7200rpm SATA drives (750GB, 1Tb). If I transfer files that are on average 100 Mb per file, transfer speed is about 75 Mb/s. With files that have an average size of 6 Kb, the transfer speed is only 2 Mb/s.