Help chosing right cpu

azs06

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
i am thinking to build a gaming pc, but i am confused about chosing processor,which processor will be better for gaming amd phenom ii or intel core 2 quad.. please help.

thanks in advance ............

Solution
If you have over $200 to spend on a CPU go with i5 750. It is only $199 (on the egg) and performs better than everything from AMD and Core2.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
personally the core 2 quad socket is old and dead. and phenom II provides the same or slightly better performance at the same price point.

i would consider phenom II, core i7 860, core i7 920

depending on ur budget, in addition i think its time to go for quad cores as more games are now using quad cores

if i were to build a new gaming PC with best value the core i7 860 seems to offer best price to performance in my eyes as it still has hyperthreading which could make a big differnce in some applications and runs at a high 2.8 Ghz stock

Well a few questions,

1. What games that you play/will be playing in the future?

2. Are you going to have other programs that you may run or may pop up while your gaming. example: anti-virus.

3. How long do you want to keep the cpu / computer? I ask this because some people like to upgrade every time there a new cpu/computer while others will keep the computer as long as it can run.

4. How much are you wanting to spend on a cpu?

azs06

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

first of all my budget is 220-230 $ and i will be happy if my processor perform well during playing games,not running pop up programs... :hello:

ulysses35

Distinguished
Core 2 / LGS775 maybe at the end of its life space and being phased out by 95/i7 by Intel but still they out perform most of AMD's offerings.

So long term LGA 775 is not a good idea.... but you can find some great deals round at the moment.

Best route would be hold off until the next year and see if the i5's come down in price, because at the moment the i'5s are too pricey compared to the top end of the C2D

TRENDING THREADS