Sign in with
Your question

AM3 Phenom II x4 955 or 1156 i5?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2009 3:29:34 PM

Hey guys, (sorry for the second thread, I could not Edit my first one because the threadname was wrong and I wasn't allowed to edit my own thread..?)

I have a MSI X48C with DDr2 800 and a Q8200, ati 5870
I want to upgrade because socket 775 is Dead..

I did a lot of research and the i5 beats the pheneom II x4 955 and even 965 in a lot of benchmarks.
But AMD has good upgrade ability because they use the same socket for a long time and it's cheap..

I heard next year somewhere around Q2 AMD is going to launch a 6 core CPU (wich wil be around 250-300 bucks ppl speculate) BUT the thing is:
Look at the i5, it's clocked at 2,6 Ghz and stil beats the 955 not because of power but because of technology.
So can AMD pull a rabbit out of their hat and surprise us with the new AM3 6 core CPU??

So the question is: Go AMD and Upgrade cheap hoping they get good CPU's in the future or Go i5? (and maybe upgrade to i7 cause i9 wil costs prolly A LOT knowing intel)
(I'm new to the whole upgrading thing so I can't really tell how Well or Bad AMD/Intel will do in the future)

More about : am3 phenom 955 1156

October 3, 2009 4:08:29 PM

Ive asked this several times, there doesn't seem to be a concrete answer :(  You planning to also add a second GPU when you upgrade the CPU or get a better one?
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2009 4:28:01 PM

I would say that if you really want to build another system a P55 motherboard and an i5 would be a good choice for the bang per buck with great performance.
Not the best performance though but you can save perhaps $200 over a X58/i7 system.
I wouldn't be obsessed with 6 core CPU's because of their high cost and limited usage (unless you are doing lots of video encoding and other drab stuff).
Probably little gains with gaming too on a 6 core unless it's perhaps Microsoft Flight Simulator X.On the cheap you could upgrade your current CPU with the Core 2 Quad 9550 to get better performance though.
Here are some benchmarks you can look at.You can compare CPU's here.
Also look at Toms' Hardware Charts but they don't have the P55 i5's and i7's in there.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=2
Related resources
October 3, 2009 4:50:05 PM

jj463rd said:

I wouldn't be obsessed with 6 core CPU's because of their high cost and limited usage (unless you are doing lots of video encoding and other drab stuff).
Probably little gains with gaming too on a 6 core unless it's perhaps Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Yeah but he wont be upgrading to 6 core for a year or more, would games have caught on to the point where it would be worth having by then?
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2009 5:07:43 PM

DariusT said:
Yeah but he wont be upgrading to 6 core for a year or more, would games have caught on to the point where it would be worth having by then?

Probably not.See this older Toms' Hardware article on How many CPU cores do you need
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cores-performan...

There was a discussion on this part of the forum in the past several months ago as well on the diminishing gain performance with more cores.I agree with dirtmountain as well although the i5 does show better performance than the Q9550.It would be more economical to go for a Q9550 upgrade route.But if you want another system an i5-750 would be a great choice.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2009 5:22:05 PM

Q9550 slightly out-performs AMD (unless you stay at stock clocks) atm but they are about equal as far as gaming goes. I would probably upgrade to just a Q9550 for now and make sure you OC it. That should hold you out a couple years and once you get another 5870 or some more GPU power go i7 or i9 or whatever is available (hopefully AMD will have something to compete by then). Switching to AM3 from LGA775 for upgrade-ability is pointless. Plus with new things coming out (USB3.0 ect) you'll want that new shiny mobo down the road. :) 
October 3, 2009 5:35:42 PM

What is AMD fusion btw?? the description is promising. Is it out already..
October 3, 2009 6:46:03 PM

remember at high resolution 1680x1050 or 1080p or 1200p with 2xaa applied the cpu doesnt really matter. The higher ur settings go in games the less the cpu matters, but for exmaple in 1 game FC2 i7 8 thread benefits without aa, but when aa applied in 1200p fps is about same with a amd phenom2 720 compared to a i7 920 oc 4.0ghz. u wont see the difference if ur playing at these settings.
!