Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Velociraptor / Win7 - shows in device manager, but not My Computer

Last response: in Storage
March 25, 2011 5:06:05 AM

just finished a sandy bridge build.. and everything's great except my storage drive isn't showing up

p67 sabretooth
i5 2500k
ocz vertex2 ssd (os, apps)
wd velociraptor 300gb - shows up at WD3000HLFS-01G6U3 ATA Device in the Device manager and in Bios, but it's nowhere to be found in Windows.

This occurs when the raptor is connected to the SATA 3 ports. When I connect it to the SATA 2 ports, it doesn't show up at all.

This is a 'recertified' drive from WD.

I did run GSmartControl and it came up perfectly fine.

The drive has no jumpers - does it need a jumper setting when everything in the system is SATA? This is my first build in a few years ;)  help appreciated. thx

Best solution

a c 102 G Storage
March 25, 2011 5:36:52 AM

have you checked if it shows in the Disk Manager? There you can partition, format, and assign a drive-letter.
a b G Storage
March 25, 2011 7:07:18 AM

It will be as Emerald has said almost certainly. Just don't partition and format the drive if you have data on it that you want. That will show up with just initialization.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 12:14:33 PM

Wow - I've been away from Windows for too long. I took your hint and just discovered diskmgmt.msc

Thanks! Will try that when I get home..
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:27:27 AM

Best answer selected by adamt19.
m
l
April 1, 2011 12:28:54 AM

That worked - I figured Windows would at least display the device somewhere that didn't need to be hunted down (Disk Manager), and allow me to perform these steps as soon as it recognized new hardware.

..but I guess some things haven't changed! ;) 

Thx Emerald - "solved"!
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:03:49 PM

Emerald said:
have you checked if it shows in the Disk Manager? There you can partition, format, and assign a drive-letter.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DYNAMIC DISK AND GPT
m
l
!