Rescuing Data from HDD with Bad Sectors

lunarwolfspirit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I have a Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB Hard-disk that has recently gone bust. Using the diagnostic utility, they've flagged the drive with bad sectors that are deemed irreparable.

Before sending it to the service center however, I was hoping there would still be a way I could copy out some of the data before they possibly replace my hard disk or destroy it. In particular my iTunes appdata and other files.

At the moment, the hard disk is still functional enough to boot and run from (but VERY slow). As a secondary hard disk, it shows up and has a readable file system. Trying to copying files from it gives me fluctuating speeds though, from a respectable (but still slow) 5mb/s to a few kb/s... Are there any suggestions as to how I can extract the data in a more efficient manner? Is there any data recovery utility out there that can perhaps help me with this? The files I need are not deleted, just amongst bad sectors.

Thanks!

FreeDataRecovery

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Your best bet is to connect a new 1TB drive to your system and try to take an image of the failing drive onto the new drive. Then recover your data from the image. Note it will take a long time. I made an image recently from a similar 1TB drive with lots of bad sectors and it took almost a week but 99.9% of the data was recovered.