X64 bit Win 7

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Corsair Dominator
  • X64
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
December 28, 2009 8:22:01 AM

I am planning to upgrade to window 7, but since I am installing a new OS, I thought I might as well go for x64 bit. I have checked all drivers and software to see whether they support it and they do. But currently I have only 3 GB of RAM.

I plan to add another 6GB = total 9Gb. I have a Core i7-920 machine, so I have 6 DIMMS. I originally bought Corsair dominator RAM (3GB=3x1Gb sticks), but the RAM is very expensive, so I was wondering whether it was compatible to use Corsair's XMS3 series, which is cheaper.

A friend recommended using Corsair dominator, but I never will overrclock it, so to me it seems bit of an uneccessary upgrade. Is their XMS series just as fast and reliable, at stock speeds? I also assume clock timings have to match, or something. I dont actually understand this much so I uploaded the images that CPU-Z tells me about my memory. Maybe you could explain. The memory I bought says 8-8-8-24 timings:

I think it was this: Click Here, but I bought it from a UK site. -> Here

Could someone explain in basic terms what these images tel me about my memory. Could you also possibly reccomend what to get (from Corsair). Thankyou

More about : x64 bit win

a c 163 } Memory
December 28, 2009 1:33:27 PM

My question is, do you really need the 9GB?, IMO you must not spend your money, with 6GB is enough for now.
December 28, 2009 3:25:20 PM

saint19 said:
My question is, do you really need the 9GB?, IMO you must not spend your money, with 6GB is enough for now.

Sorry for not making it clear, but I currently have 3Gb, but I want to add 6Gb (as it is easier to buy in such sets) , total will be 9 Gb
Related resources
a c 163 } Memory
December 28, 2009 3:46:03 PM

Add another 3GB, with 6GB is enough for your system.
December 28, 2009 5:35:27 PM

Main Issue: I originally bought Corsair dominator RAM (3GB=3x1Gb sticks), but the RAM is very expensive, so I was wondering whether it was compatible to use Corsair's XMS3 series, which is cheaper.

Is their XMS series just as fast and reliable, at stock speeds?

Do timings have to match? Current - see pcitures above; I am unsure
a c 163 } Memory
December 28, 2009 5:41:47 PM

Give me the link of your current RAM
December 28, 2009 5:46:17 PM

saint19 said:
Give me the link of your current RAM

Read the 1st post that has the link: I think it was this: Click Here, but I bought it from a UK site. -> Here

the post has the hyper links
a c 163 } Memory
December 28, 2009 5:58:38 PM

Here are 3 kits 3GB (3x1GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

My votes goes in this orde:

1- Crucial Ballistix tracer
2- Crucial Ballistix
3- Kingston HyperX

Or another option is that you re-sell your current RAM and buy someone of this kits 6GB (3x2GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

My votes goes in this orde:

1- Crucial Ballistix Tracer (price/performance)
2- Kingston HyperX (price)
3- Corsair Dominator
4- Corsair XMS3
5 Corsair Dominator-GT (price)
December 28, 2009 7:10:03 PM

So any RAM with 8-8-8-24 timings would do?
a c 163 } Memory
December 28, 2009 7:22:37 PM

Yes, and try to get with the same voltage.
!