marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
hey! this link promises DX10 on Windows XP.

http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

I would like to see benchmarks on Tomshardware (if they really work).

I found the link to it in wikipedia

Solution
If you would read and do searches this has been talked about a lot before. It is not true dx10 it allows dx10 only games to be played on xp.

"These compatibility libraries allow the use of DirectX 10 games on platforms other than Windows Vista , and increase hardware compatibility even on Vista, by compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn’t capable of running it. No reason for gamer to change or upgrade the OS and video card(s) to play the latest games."

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
How is that I never read anything of it? :heink:
There is a lot of stuff on google.

Well, DX10 was originally developed for the XP ME edition (good ol buggy longhorn) before that was gutted and they practically started over to make Vista. In light of that I can see how that's possible. Still, hacking XP like that doesn't always end well. Also, current drivers have alot of optimizations and such for various games to run better on their particular architecture, the main reason modern drivers are so large, so the performance probably isn't too comparable. It would be interesting to see some benches, but I wouldn't really bother installing it myself.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If you would read and do searches this has been talked about a lot before. It is not true dx10 it allows dx10 only games to be played on xp.

"These compatibility libraries allow the use of DirectX 10 games on platforms other than Windows Vista , and increase hardware compatibility even on Vista, by compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn’t capable of running it. No reason for gamer to change or upgrade the OS and video card(s) to play the latest games."

Solution

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

Yesterday I donloaded it to install on XP. Then I found that since I installed Win 7 RC, i don't want to use xp never more.

So, I decided to wipe out my XP partition (wich is the first, so is the faster), and put Win 7 on it.

anyway, I would like to know how it performs against vista and win 7.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I Just started this thread as comment, but I got a mail asking to mark a message as best answer.

well I cannot mark two as best, (I should have marked megamanx00 also).

chef7734 returns some interesting hints. so I marked it.

TRENDING THREADS