Bollteneck issue check?

hash

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Hi,

As always I need help from some of the experts. I've got a AMD Athlon 7750 BE 2.7 Ghz and 1 GB XFX 4850 and 2GB DDR2 800 and ASUS 780 Mobo. I was worried since I saw so many "Your CPU bottlenecks your GPU" topics which got me worried to if mine was one of them ? Can you please tell me if it would bottleneck even if i overclock to 3 Ghz .

Thanks for the advice.

you are the bottleneck of the equation

really, you should be fine, the 4850 isn't that strong of a card
though, i might want to add more memory for the system since XP is out dated and for vista/7 4GB is the sweet spot (you could always keep the 2 you have and add 4 more for 6GB)

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The 7750 is a good balance with the 4850 1gb. And +1 for mindless on the ram. If using Vista or win 7, go to 4 gigs. More is fine if the price difference is nominal, but if keeping what you have, try to match the same model with the different sizes.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
you'll have to switch if you want to use all four gigs of ram. 9 out of ten times your as long as your system is pretty up to date your hard drive will be the biggest bottleneck. I would suggest a striped raid setup/ 10k RPM hard drive/ or solid state disk. If you dont have a on-board raid controller you can buy raid controller cards for fairly cheap and then just install and run your games from your raid array. 4gb's of ram wouldn't hurt. Also a fresh install of windows does wonders sometimes.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
For the price bracket you seem to be set up in, 10k raid drive setup will be more than the return you'll get. While the HDD will be the weak link, you won't gain much from the raid before hitting the cpu/gpu wall.

And you don't HAVE to have a 64 bit OS if you install 4 gigs of ram. You'll only use 3.25 gbs but that will be enough to see performance increases. Windows will use 1-1.5 for vista, so on your current setup, that leaves only 1/2 a gig for programs. So 3.25 will leave over 1 1/2 gigs for games and that does much better. I run 4 gigs on a 32 bit XP OS and it performs well. If you want a 64 bit OS, pre order Win 7 for $50. Offer expires July 11th.