Need some advice for a new psu please

Hi, im looking for a new psu for my terrible computer. i want to get a decent psu because it will be used for my new build next year so want a decent psu instead of having to buy a new 1.

i was thinking maybe a 600-700 watt but there are so many different makes/models and would hate to buy 1 that will break in a year.

my current pc is http://pcs.co.uk/shop/acer-m3201-recon/41809919/.

i need this new psu to run my current pc for now then ill be upgrading my gpu very soon too.

can you have any issues running a pc with a psu that is alot higher watt then needed?

i dont really want to spend any more than £50-£70 and it is a must that it fits in my machine ive seen a few decent looking psu and there is a big difference in prices.
11 answers Last reply
More about need advice please
  1. What will your next build look like? I can tell you this: if you don't plan on SLI or crossfire the Corsair HX520W or VX550W (get the cheapest) will power any CPU with any Graphics card.)
  2. not really sure at the moment but im thinking ill have £600 for it in bout 4 months so what ever is about then. this will be my first build and will be coming here for answers XD. i was planning on getting the psu in the next week or 2 then getting a decent gpu after that.
  3. There should not be any issues running a new more powerful PSU on your current system.

In your price range a good 650W PSU will run two of the new 5850 video cards in a powerful new system.
    Corsair 650TX

For a mid-range new system with just one mid-range video card:
    Corsair 450W HX Modular PSU

Do you know what video card you're going to get? If we know that we can make a good guess on the PSU.
  4. An ATI 4580 video card or nVidia Gefore GTS 250 with a Corsair 450VX PSU would be a good combo.
  5. thanks for the reply im thinking of spending upto £80-100 on a new gpu in the next month or so. if you have any suggetions for a a gpu in that reagion with a decent psu that will be able to run that + will still have plenty of juice left for when i make my new build.

thanks
  6. For the gpu you are considering, how many 6 or8 pin pci-e connectors does it require? The simple psu sizing plan is to get a quality psu that has the proper number of such connectors. Quality psu's come from Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, and Antec to name a few. This tiered listing might help:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx The wattage is less relevant than the total amps available on the 12v rail/s.

It does not hurt to have an excessively strong psu. The psu will only draw the power it needs.
  7. these are the 2 i think ive nailed it down too. just wanted to make sure that they are compatible with my pc. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/550w-Corsair-VX-Series-PSU-ATX-PS-2-5-year-Warranty-see-specs
    i do like the 5 year warrenty aspect and corsair is a well known brand (found out over the last week all the gd brands lol)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650w-Silverpower-(Seasonic)-SP-SS650HT-Green-Power-80-Plus-CertifiedIntel-ATX-12V-6Serial-ATA
    this 1 looks like its good (seasonic another good name XD) but doesnt have the eps 12v(what ever that is) like the corsair and also doesnt have sli but i dont think ill be needing it.

they are both more or less same price but i just wanted to get a few views on them or other suggestions.

thanks in advance
  8. demonical said:
    these are the 2 i think ive nailed it down too. just wanted to make sure that they are compatible with my pc. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/550w-Corsair-VX-Series-PSU-ATX-PS-2-5-year-Warranty-see-specs
    i do like the 5 year warrenty aspect and corsair is a well known brand (found out over the last week all the gd brands lol)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650w-Silverpower-(Seasonic)-SP-SS650HT-Green-Power-80-Plus-CertifiedIntel-ATX-12V-6Serial-ATA
    this 1 looks like its good (seasonic another good name XD) but doesnt have the eps 12v(what ever that is) like the corsair and also doesnt have sli but i dont think ill be needing it.

they are both more or less same price but i just wanted to get a few views on them or other suggestions.

thanks in advance

They're both fine, and they're both overkill, get the Corsair VX450W instead.
  9. The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 500 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 4770, 5850, and 5870 cards which use a little less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will evdentually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonsic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
  10. Gulli said:
    They're both fine, and they're both overkill, get the Corsair VX450W instead.

hi thanks for your reply.

i think that i will get the Corsair VX450W because i have no plans to get multiple cards and i think that i was just being a little bit overzelous. my main thinking in getting a 550-650 is that it would last a gd few years maybe even thru a few builds but i didnt realise how much of a decent system you could actually run off a moderate psu. thanks again ;) and next week ill be looking for a new gpu lol ;).
  11. and i save £10 too lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computer Components