Sign in with
Your question

Need some advice for a new psu please

Last response: in Components
October 3, 2009 8:49:47 PM

Hi, im looking for a new psu for my terrible computer. i want to get a decent psu because it will be used for my new build next year so want a decent psu instead of having to buy a new 1.

i was thinking maybe a 600-700 watt but there are so many different makes/models and would hate to buy 1 that will break in a year.

my current pc is http://pcs.co.uk/shop/acer-m3201-recon/41809919/.

i need this new psu to run my current pc for now then ill be upgrading my gpu very soon too.

can you have any issues running a pc with a psu that is alot higher watt then needed?

i dont really want to spend any more than £50-£70 and it is a must that it fits in my machine ive seen a few decent looking psu and there is a big difference in prices.

More about : advice psu

October 3, 2009 8:51:28 PM

What will your next build look like? I can tell you this: if you don't plan on SLI or crossfire the Corsair HX520W or VX550W (get the cheapest) will power any CPU with any Graphics card.)
October 3, 2009 8:54:54 PM

not really sure at the moment but im thinking ill have £600 for it in bout 4 months so what ever is about then. this will be my first build and will be coming here for answers XD. i was planning on getting the psu in the next week or 2 then getting a decent gpu after that.
Related resources
a c 139 ) Power supply
October 3, 2009 9:07:29 PM

There should not be any issues running a new more powerful PSU on your current system.

In your price range a good 650W PSU will run two of the new 5850 video cards in a powerful new system.
Corsair 650TX

For a mid-range new system with just one mid-range video card:
Corsair 450W HX Modular PSU

Do you know what video card you're going to get? If we know that we can make a good guess on the PSU.

a c 139 ) Power supply
October 3, 2009 9:17:03 PM

An ATI 4580 video card or nVidia Gefore GTS 250 with a Corsair 450VX PSU would be a good combo.
October 3, 2009 10:05:20 PM

thanks for the reply im thinking of spending upto £80-100 on a new gpu in the next month or so. if you have any suggetions for a a gpu in that reagion with a decent psu that will be able to run that + will still have plenty of juice left for when i make my new build.

thanks
a c 137 ) Power supply
October 4, 2009 12:28:00 AM

For the gpu you are considering, how many 6 or8 pin pci-e connectors does it require? The simple psu sizing plan is to get a quality psu that has the proper number of such connectors. Quality psu's come from Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, and Antec to name a few. This tiered listing might help:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx The wattage is less relevant than the total amps available on the 12v rail/s.

It does not hurt to have an excessively strong psu. The psu will only draw the power it needs.

October 4, 2009 11:27:22 PM

these are the 2 i think ive nailed it down too. just wanted to make sure that they are compatible with my pc. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/550w-Corsair-VX-Series-P...
i do like the 5 year warrenty aspect and corsair is a well known brand (found out over the last week all the gd brands lol)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650w-Silverpower-(Seasonic)-SP-SS650HT-Green-Power-80-Plus-CertifiedIntel-ATX-12V-6Serial-ATA
this 1 looks like its good (seasonic another good name XD) but doesnt have the eps 12v(what ever that is) like the corsair and also doesnt have sli but i dont think ill be needing it.

they are both more or less same price but i just wanted to get a few views on them or other suggestions.

thanks in advance
October 5, 2009 2:27:57 AM

demonical said:
these are the 2 i think ive nailed it down too. just wanted to make sure that they are compatible with my pc. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/550w-Corsair-VX-Series-P...
i do like the 5 year warrenty aspect and corsair is a well known brand (found out over the last week all the gd brands lol)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650w-Silverpower-(Seasonic)-SP-SS650HT-Green-Power-80-Plus-CertifiedIntel-ATX-12V-6Serial-ATA
this 1 looks like its good (seasonic another good name XD) but doesnt have the eps 12v(what ever that is) like the corsair and also doesnt have sli but i dont think ill be needing it.

they are both more or less same price but i just wanted to get a few views on them or other suggestions.

thanks in advance

They're both fine, and they're both overkill, get the Corsair VX450W instead.
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 5, 2009 3:03:27 AM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 500 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 4770, 5850, and 5870 cards which use a little less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will evdentually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonsic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

October 5, 2009 10:25:58 AM

Gulli said:
They're both fine, and they're both overkill, get the Corsair VX450W instead.

hi thanks for your reply.

i think that i will get the Corsair VX450W because i have no plans to get multiple cards and i think that i was just being a little bit overzelous. my main thinking in getting a 550-650 is that it would last a gd few years maybe even thru a few builds but i didnt realise how much of a decent system you could actually run off a moderate psu. thanks again ;)  and next week ill be looking for a new gpu lol ;) .
October 5, 2009 10:26:49 AM

and i save £10 too lol
!