Sign in with
Your question

Dual I7 Processors

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2009 3:56:55 PM

I was wondering if someone could answer a simple question for me:

I am currently looking to see if it would be possible to get a motherboard that would support having two I7 processors. I appreciate the help and the answer ahead of time.

More about : dual processors

December 28, 2009 4:23:13 PM

Tyan usually has good workstation/server motherboards. Make sure everything lines up though because server grade stuff usually comes with different pins counts or memory types.
December 28, 2009 7:44:22 PM

ASus Z8NA-D6-Intel's Skulltrail prodecessor I believe
Related resources
December 30, 2009 12:28:59 PM

Can any i7 be used in pairs, or only some kind of Xeon variant with a different socket? I'm not sure at all, but this can become expensive.

Also, check which OS licence accepts two sockets. Can get expensive as well.
As well, if each socket has its own Ram, you need the OS variant that is aware so it puts the right data at the right place.

Keep in mind that Intel is to offer a six-core socket 1366 at the beginning of 2010. This may save you troubles for a desktop use.
December 30, 2009 7:45:58 PM

Vista/Win7 Professional/Ent/Ult let you use 2 socket systems. I think you would need a Xeon, but don't quote me on that.

Like that guy said, 6 core will be nice since it's 50% more cores AND a die shink.

I'd rather have one 6-core i7 with 12MB of L3 cache than dual socket 4-core i7 with 8MB cache each. The dual socket will definitely make it cheaper to add lots of memory though. 6 ram slots per socket filled with cheap 2GB sticks for cheap 24GB of ram.
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 30, 2009 8:07:34 PM

spowers08 said:
I was wondering if someone could answer a simple question for me:

I am currently looking to see if it would be possible to get a motherboard that would support having two I7 processors. I appreciate the help and the answer ahead of time.
It can't be done using i7 processors; Xeon 5500 Sequence processors are required. Refer to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/products/server/processor/... for a complete list.
!