SSD and HDD?

clamber

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Firstly, sorry for my ignorance on the subject. I'm not very knowledgeable in the hardware area.

Anywho, in a month or so I'm going to be building my first PC. I have most of the hardware picked out, but I'm trying to decide what to do for storage.

I for sure want a SSD, but I don't need a large one at all. I don't use much space at all and I'm only using half of my 80GB HDD right now.

I'm thinking about getting a small SSD, maybe the Crucial 64GB(any others you'd recommend?), and then having a ~200GB HDD for audio/video storage as well. I'm not exactly sure how this works though. How do I use two storage units? Can someone explain to me how it works and how to set it up.

Thanks,
Coby

Normally, you would install windows and whatever else you want on the ssd, and direct the motherboard bios to boot from it. It will be the "C" drive.

If you start to run out of space on the ssd, just buy a large storage drive. At current prices, a 1tb drive would serve you well.
When you install it, it will show up in windows as a different letter.

If your storage needs are minimal, by all means put everything on the SSD, that is what I do.
I suggest the Intel X25-M 120gb drive if you must buy now. But, I think their third generation ssd (320) is supposed to launch this month on the 28th. It might be worthwhile to wait a bit. Expect to pay $2 or $2.5 per gb for a ssd.
I suggest Intel, primarily because they seem to have the fewest issues and returns.

clamber

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks a bunch Geo for explaining that. I think I'll just get the SSD first and then if/when I need more storage, I'll get a HDD.

And I'll look into the Intel SSDs. I was going to get one of the X25-m ones but then someone on here said it was old. I might get one of the 510 series 120GB.

I've also heard that the new OCZ Vertex 3 will be really good, so that might be another option.

Thanks again.

Vertex 3 and crucial C400 are due to launch soon. They, along with Intel 510 will do well when attached to 6gb sata ports, like those on sandy bridge motherboards. Without sata 6gb, their performance is less, so look for the Intel 320 which should be a better priced unit.

Really, ANY ssd will be a big improvement over a conventional hard drive.