Sign in with
Your question

Reinstall ethernet driver xp

Last response: in Windows XP
December 11, 2011 2:20:58 PM

My ethernet controller has been suggested by the tech guy at O2 home broadband as the source of the erratic throughput speeds which I had been experiencing. Today I have connected this PC by wireless to the same O2 router. The speeds are OK and seem consistent. This supports the idea that the ethernet controller is faulty.

I found some advice on another website about confirming or eliminating this device as a source of my throughput problems. This advice was to UNINSTALL the ethernet controller and then reinstall it. I have uninstalled it, but I can't reinstall it as Win XP SP3 can't find a driver for it. The wizard stops at this point. The ethernet controller is a NVIDIA G-Force. What can I do now? I bought the computer with this ethernet controller installed (it is part of the computer, really) and do not have any disk containing its driver.

It may well be that the controller is actually faulty, but it does not fit in a PCI slot. It is in a different position and is more or less integral with the motherboard. I have a spare PCI device slot in the back of the computer tower, but this is now spare only because I have removed from it the card which was in it, which I do not need. That card contains the socket (port) for the cable which you use when you have a dial-up ISP, so I imagine that the card contains the dial-up modem. It was not plugged internally into a PCI slot, but into a shorter brown slot. There is a spare PCI port very near, but it looks too offset for a a normal PCI card to be able to plug into it.

What do you advise me to do?

Carl
a b \ Driver
December 11, 2011 2:32:27 PM

CarlH said:
My ethernet controller has been suggested by the tech guy at O2 home broadband as the source of the erratic throughput speeds which I had been experiencing. Today I have connected this PC by wireless to the same O2 router. The speeds are OK and seem consistent. This supports the idea that the ethernet controller is faulty.

I found some advice on another website about confirming or eliminating this device as a source of my throughput problems. This advice was to UNINSTALL the ethernet controller and then reinstall it. I have uninstalled it, but I can't reinstall it as Win XP SP3 can't find a driver for it. The wizard stops at this point. The ethernet controller is a NVIDIA G-Force. What can I do now? I bought the computer with this ethernet controller installed (it is part of the computer, really) and do not have any disk containing its driver.

It may well be that the controller is actually faulty, but it does not fit in a PCI slot. It is in a different position and is more or less integral with the motherboard. I have a spare PCI device slot in the back of the computer tower, but this is now spare only because I have removed from it the card which was in it, which I do not need. That card contains the socket (port) for the cable which you use when you have a dial-up ISP, so I imagine that the card contains the dial-up modem. It was not plugged internally into a PCI slot, but into a shorter brown slot. There is a spare PCI port very near, but it looks too offset for a a normal PCI card to be able to plug into it.

What do you advise me to do?

Carl

go to the nvidia site or MOBO mfg site and search for your computer model
ethernet ctlr. If you do not know your MOBO mfg, download & run utility SPECCY
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
December 12, 2011 3:28:54 AM

ksiemb said:
go to the nvidia site or MOBO mfg site and search for your computer model
ethernet ctlr. If you do not know your MOBO mfg, download & run utility SPECCY

I have got the model of the ethernet controller from both speecy and nvidia. It is:-

256mb GeForce 6200. In speccy the word UNDEFINED follows the description. Don't understand meaning of this word!

I put into the nvidia website:-

NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP driver Library Installation Disk 1. This what my Windows has (only once) asked me for. A very long list of versions came up. I went for the oldest one as the Windows is dated 2002 (copyright date).

now visible in CONTROL PANEL/ADD-REMOVE PROGRAMS.But the installation wizard in XP cannot find the the software. I went back to the nvidia website and asked it to search my computer for the adaptor and drivers. It tells me that the correct and latest drivers for the ethernet controller are installed on my computer.

However, I still cannot reinstate my LAN1 connection. When I try to create a new connection I am offered only the Bluetooth modem which is set up for LAN2.

Where do I go from here? I have spent many hours on this, and paid for speccy, and am still at square one!

Please help me further!
Related resources
a b \ Driver
December 12, 2011 7:33:04 AM

CarlH said:

I have got the model of the ethernet controller from both speecy and nvidia. It is:-

256mb GeForce 6200. In speccy the word UNDEFINED follows the description. Don't understand meaning of this word!

I put into the nvidia website:-

NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP driver Library Installation Disk 1. This what my Windows has (only once) asked me for. A very long list of versions came up. I went for the oldest one as the Windows is dated 2002 (copyright date).

now visible in CONTROL PANEL/ADD-REMOVE PROGRAMS.But the installation wizard in XP cannot find the the software. I went back to the nvidia website and asked it to search my computer for the adaptor and drivers. It tells me that the correct and latest drivers for the ethernet controller are installed on my computer.

However, I still cannot reinstate my LAN1 connection. When I try to create a new connection I am offered only the Bluetooth modem which is set up for LAN2.

Where do I go from here? I have spent many hours on this, and paid for speccy, and am still at square one!

Please help me further!

SPECCY: Sorry you had to pay for it. You could have clicked the free version download on the page, instead of the Home or business edition. Only diff is you get no support.

256mb GeForce 6200 - This is a video Graphics Card, not ethernet controller. Did you click on network (SPECCY), then scroll down to Adapters List ?
December 13, 2011 9:11:09 AM

ksiemb said:
SPECCY: Sorry you had to pay for it. You could have clicked the free version download on the page, instead of the Home or business edition. Only diff is you get no support.

256mb GeForce 6200 - This is a video Graphics Card, not ethernet controller. Did you click on network (SPECCY), then scroll down to Adapters List ?

Hi

Thanks again.

I have tried to do his but can't find the way on the Speccy website to do what you say. Sorry to be so computer-illiterate, but could you spell it out for me step by step - starting with loading the website and logging on?

I am relieved to hear about my wild goose chase because, otherwise, it would have been very strange if the "Found New Hardware Wizard" had not been able to find the files when I told it where they are (the wrong files, that is!). Various sources told me, or seemed to, that the GeForce 6200 was the ethernet controller.

It does not matter that I paid for Speccy - fortunately only £14.95. It will be worth it if Speccy turns up the exact details of the ethernet controller which is languishing on my mobo and can tell me exactly what software to download.

Regards,

CarlH
a b \ Driver
December 13, 2011 12:31:50 PM

CarlH said:
Hi

Thanks again.

I have tried to do his but can't find the way on the Speccy website to do what you say. Sorry to be so computer-illiterate, but could you spell it out for me step by step - starting with loading the website and logging on?

I am relieved to hear about my wild goose chase because, otherwise, it would have been very strange if the "Found New Hardware Wizard" had not been able to find the files when I told it where they are (the wrong files, that is!). Various sources told me, or seemed to, that the GeForce 6200 was the ethernet controller.

It does not matter that I paid for Speccy - fortunately only £14.95. It will be worth it if Speccy turns up the exact details of the ethernet controller which is languishing on my mobo and can tell me exactly what software to download.

Regards,

CarlH

1). Did you download Speccy ? You Paid for it, so I guess you Did.
here is the Website.

2) Run the Speccy program you downloaded.
When I said, Did you click on network (SPECCY), then scroll down to Adapters List
a b \ Driver
December 13, 2011 12:41:27 PM

CarlH said:
Hi

Thanks again.

Regards,

CarlH

for some reason I can't edit my previous reply, what I was trying to tell you is to run the speccy program you downloaded. when it finishes, click on the word "Network", on the left, then you will see the name of your device.
December 13, 2011 1:30:35 PM

ksiemb said:
for some reason I can't edit my previous reply, what I was trying to tell you is to run the speccy program you downloaded. when it finishes, click on the word "Network", on the left, then you will see the name of your device.

Thanks again. I had already tried this. In the general NETWORK section at the top of the page, against ADAPTER TYPE it states "ETHERNET" and nothing more. Lower down, this page lists my Wireless connection and my LAN2, which is for a USB Bluetooth device. But AN1, the port for the Ethernet cable, is completely absent. Where do I go from here?!
!