region free dvd

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 5:39:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
locks up anyone got any ideas .

Dave

---

More about : region free dvd

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 7:12:43 PM

D Wallace wrote:

> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
> locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Dave
>

> ---

Hi,
See if you can hack the firmware of the drive.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 7:17:21 PM

D Wallace wrote:
> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
> locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Dave
>

> ---

I have been through that. First and most importantly, you need to
identify very precisely the brand and model of your dvd drive. Google a
file called "dvdinfo.exe" which will help you do that.

Second, visit this site:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=2&manufa...

where chances are good you will find what you need. Be sure to
understand and follow the instructions, which are not always extremely
clear. Make sure you understand that there are often two firmwares
posted: the original one and the one which allows the drive to be
region-free. Applying the wrong one will not hurt but will not solve
your problem...

Installing the firmware you will have found should be done after booting
to a dos diskette, do not try to do it any other way. Make sure you have
connected the power supply to your machine, you certainly do not want to
lose it while flashing (I have read post about people flashing their
bios without having connected the powersupply and ruining their bios...).

Once you are done, dvdinfo will show that your drive is now region-free.
You are NOT finished, you now have to install DVD Region Killer (for
isntance) so that your software does not block either. All this is
ridiculous and I really wonder if it has helped the DVD industry ...

Regards

--
John Doue
Related resources

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:39:13 +0100, "D Wallace"
<dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
>locks up anyone got any ideas .

You could invest in a copy of DVDIdle http://www.dvdidle.com It does
the job for me. HTH

Lee Rodgers
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 8:38:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"D Wallace" <dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my
> laptop dvd region free before it locks up
> anyone got any ideas .

It's simple.

Download DVD Region-Free and UltraDVD from www.dvdfab.com
(or if you would also like to burn DVD's, DVD SuperPack).

There is a two week free trial period.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 8:39:44 AM

"Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> D Wallace wrote:
>
> > Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before
it
> > locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Hi,
> See if you can hack the firmware of the drive.
> Tony

No need to hack any firmware.

There are quite a few software
packages that do the job. For
instance, DVD Region-Free from
www.dvdfab.com.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 8:40:33 AM

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> D Wallace wrote:
> > Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region
> > free before it locks up anyone got any ideas .
> >

> I have been through that. First and most importantly, you need to
> identify very precisely the brand and model of your dvd drive. Google a
> file called "dvdinfo.exe" which will help you do that.
>
> Second, visit this site:
>
> http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=2&manufa...
>
> where chances are good you will find what you need. Be sure to
> understand and follow the instructions, which are not always extremely
> clear. Make sure you understand that there are often two firmwares
> posted: the original one and the one which allows the drive to be
> region-free. Applying the wrong one will not hurt but will not solve
> your problem...
>
> Installing the firmware you will have found should be done after booting
> to a dos diskette, do not try to do it any other way. Make sure you have
> connected the power supply to your machine, you certainly do not want to
> lose it while flashing (I have read post about people flashing their
> bios without having connected the powersupply and ruining their bios...).
>
> Once you are done, dvdinfo will show that your drive is now region-free.
> You are NOT finished, you now have to install DVD Region Killer (for
> isntance) so that your software does not block either. All this is
> ridiculous and I really wonder if it has helped the DVD industry ...

No need to hack any firmware.

There are quite a few software
packages that do the job. For
instance, DVD Region-Free from
www.dvdfab.com.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 2:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ok.. Ok.. I give up... what does "region free" mean??

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"D Wallace" <dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before
it
> locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Dave
>

> ---

a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 4:16:57 PM

Dan Koren wrote:
> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>D Wallace wrote:
>>
>>>Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region
>>>free before it locks up anyone got any ideas .
>>>

>>I have been through that. First and most importantly, you need to
>>identify very precisely the brand and model of your dvd drive. Google a
>>file called "dvdinfo.exe" which will help you do that.
>>
>>Second, visit this site:
>>
>>http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=2&manufa...
>>
>>where chances are good you will find what you need. Be sure to
>>understand and follow the instructions, which are not always extremely
>>clear. Make sure you understand that there are often two firmwares
>>posted: the original one and the one which allows the drive to be
>>region-free. Applying the wrong one will not hurt but will not solve
>>your problem...
>>
>>Installing the firmware you will have found should be done after booting
>>to a dos diskette, do not try to do it any other way. Make sure you have
>>connected the power supply to your machine, you certainly do not want to
>>lose it while flashing (I have read post about people flashing their
>>bios without having connected the powersupply and ruining their bios...).
>>
>>Once you are done, dvdinfo will show that your drive is now region-free.
>>You are NOT finished, you now have to install DVD Region Killer (for
>>isntance) so that your software does not block either. All this is
>>ridiculous and I really wonder if it has helped the DVD industry ...
>>

> No need to hack any firmware.
>
> There are quite a few software
> packages that do the job. For
> instance, DVD Region-Free from
> www.dvdfab.com.
>

> dk

I was aware of such programs but somehow the option of downloading the
firmware came first. Are there any drawbacks to the software solution
which, although smart on the surface, seems only to be a work-around and
not the real solution ? I would like to know since one day or another, I
will change my laptop and desktop and come across that problem again.
What I like about the firmware approach is, it makes the drive
region-free whatever software and OS you use. For people who like to
test or alternate between OSes, this is a plus.

As a side line, does anyone here know why this limitation still is
imposed on drive-makers since it is widely defeated, whether on PCs or
home units? Just one more thing that makes life more complicated,
needlessly. We do not need that on top of MS activation stuff now...

Regards

--
John Doue
April 22, 2004 4:30:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Get the make and model number and i might be able to sort you out with a
hacked firmware for your drive, will make it region free without software.

KiNG @ www.justcdr.net

"D Wallace" <dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before
it
> locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Dave
>

> ---

a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 2:33:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks or the help
Dave
"D Wallace" <dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before
it
> locks up anyone got any ideas .
>
> Dave
>

> ---

---
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 4:29:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:39:13 +0100, "D Wallace"
<dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
>locks up anyone got any ideas .

I doubt it will lock up anyone. I don't think it has the power.

-Barry
========
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 4:34:21 AM

Barry OGrady wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:39:13 +0100, "D Wallace"
> <dwall40@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Could anyone help me ,I would like make my laptop dvd region free before it
>>locks up anyone got any ideas .
>

> I doubt it will lock up anyone. I don't think it has the power.
>

> -Barry
> ========
> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
Ok, nice humor but making fun of a post is not exactly nice nor helpful.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,rec.video.dvd.players,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'll type it slowly for you :-)

Region free - can play a DVD from anywhere in the world e.g. USA - Region 1
, Europe/Asia - Region 2. Nearly all DVD movies are locked to one (or more)
regions

news:D 5GdnQORC8TGTxrd4p2dnA@comcast.com...