Strange hardware monitor readings

This morning I was playing Call of Duty 4 when the game minimized itself and I got a warning message, along the lines of "Your CPU fan isn't working properly, turn your system off and check it" or something.

I opened up CPUID hardware monitor, and watched as the TMPIN2 reading slowly increased from 36°C to around 40°C, then it spiked to just above 100°C for just a moment, going back down to 36-40°C.

This caused me a bit of panic so I turned off the system. I unseated and reseated the CPU heatsink, but turning on the hardware monitor again, TMPIN0, TMPIN1, and TMPIN2 all spiked up to above 100°C and back down before long.

Also, one of the fan readings (FANIN1), which normally runs at around 670 RPM, read 0 for a moment, and then went back to normal. A few seconds later it read 0 RPM again, and again went back to normal. This happened several times. As I type this out, however, the fan reading looks stable.

These temperature spikes, and the weird fan readings; should I be worried? The Temperatures under the name of my CPU didn't change at all (all cores maintaining about 36°C) so I don't exactly know what the TMPIN readings are for. But these spikes of temperature can't be a good thing?

My CPU is an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE, not overclocked with stock cooling.
1 answer Last reply
More about strange hardware monitor readings
  1. Spiking to 100C that fast would require the heatsink to fall off. If it fell off, the temps wouldn't drop down again. The readings appear to be erroneous.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hardware Monitors