Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Shooting x3 710 AM3 build

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 3:28:07 AM

Over a month ago I built a machine for a friend. It has had zero problems till now. Well except for the original ram I got did not work right with the mobo so I switched to another kit. Anyways once I was done with the build and it passed my stability tests I gave it to the friend.

Everything has been fine up till a couple of days ago. When the system would just randomly freeze. At first I figured it was some malware or something causing the problem. I could not find any software problems or didnt care enough to actually check every last thing. I figure I just save the time and do a clean windows install. Which I did and then it frooze the next day when he was playing WoW. It then frooze again when I basically opened up every app on the system. Which isnt many at all.

All the drivers where up to installed and up to date. Temps where not a problem in the past. The machine actually ran very cool. There has been no BIOS changes to the system since I gave it to him. He actually cant even get into BIOS. The keyboard he has hooked up does not work until the os is loaded. I wanted to open the case to look inside and make sure everything was right. All fans working. Everything feels right to tough. All wires are where they should be and so on. But the case has a lock on it and I actually have it here at my house somewhere so I could not open it. Same with the BIOS. I braught a spare keyboard over to change the boot order to boot the cd 1st the other day. But I took it back figuring I would not need it( thinking it was a windows/software error).

Things that I was thinking could be wrong. The cpu is overheating. But since It always had very cool temps before and even during the freezing before the install it should be that.

The gpu is overheating. I did not check the gpu temps since I put it together.

One of the latest drivers are causing it. Even though the user did not update any drivers since I gave him the machine.

The fail safe defaults in the BIOS are not good. I did not change anything in the BIOS before I gave it to him. The machine was working fine. But just since I was in the BIOS before the windows install. I loaded the defaults. I'm thinking maybe the ram needs more volts. Or maybe the cpu.

In the mean time I got to track down the key to open the case thats somewhere in here(my house) and bring that and a keyboard over to figure out what is the problem.

The system is mainly used to play WoW. Other tasks inclube. Using firefox,aim,itunes and thats mostly it. I do not have the machine here to post any screens or anything.

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR16004GK - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDX710WFGIBOX - Retail (N82E16819103648)

MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail (500W EarthWatts PSU)
HIS H467QSS1GP Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail.

Is the hardware. OS is Vista64.

Any ideas other than the ones I stated?
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 1:08:47 PM

Just a small note here, i guess your friend has a Usb keyboard.
In that case when your in the bios you set it to detect a usb keyboard.
The default settings normaly have it turned off btw.

You do know that some DDR 3 memory chips have had a high percent of faliure dont you.
I would check this out incase OCZ Reaper is in the club.
I take it you have checked on the memory its self, the voltage it needs to run at.
Also checked to see that the bios has set it to the right voltage by auto detect.
Could be a lack of voltage to the Dimms, and under load the memory falls over.
And yes your right i would check its not the video card overheating, and locking the system up.
Also check that the culprit is not the ati driver, i knew some people that had problems with some games due to the driver
where it would lock up the system or the screen would just go black.

Hope it helps.
m
l
!