Intel Pentium G850,surprisingly good or is it just me...???

MrWolf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Just recently i noticed this cpu,and it seems great.Very low price and great performance !!! Judging by reviews and benchmarks it's almost as good as Core i3 2100 in gaming,and it turns out it's head to head with AMD phenom x4 955 BE in most of games(anandtech benchmarks).I might consider putting it into my next budget build,so would it be a good choice.What are your thoughts on this cpu ???

ra3tonite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I was kind of curious about this processor too. I'm actually looking at the Celeron G530.

I would be pairing it with an AMD HIS 6970 gpu and be playing at 1080p resolutions.

Games such as Batman, BF3, Rage, Saints Row Three.

I do no computing whatsoever. Only play video games. Would this cpu suffice, or what it bottleneck the GPU? I'm slightly concerned about not trying to go with a quad cpu.

You would probably hit a CPU bottleneck pairing a 6970 with any Celeron, they're simply too slow, even if you are playing at high resolution. The 6970 is a pretty beefy CPU, the Celeron is about as weak as you can get without getting into low power netbook CPUs. The higher end Pentium or the i3 would definitely be a better fit. Most games don't fully use a quad core. There are some games that are starting to use more threads, and there are a few titles that run rather poorly on most dual cores. If you aren't willing to spring for an i5, the i3 or maybe even Pentium G850 will be sufficient for the vast majority of titles. Of the titles you listed, all of the ones that are out will run fine on a dual core, though apparently some of the larger BF3 games can really push a dual core past its limits. Batman Arkham City uses the same engine as Arkham Asylum, it runs fine on dual core, so that should be okay. RAGE runs fine on dual core. Saints Row the Third we will have to wait for that to come out before we can know for sure.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
It performs on par with the Athlon x4 645 and here the Athlon does well at 1080p.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/6.

But if you have the extra 30 plus got for the 2100 rather