How much should I be spending on a DVI cable

serdna117

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I am buying a new monitor to replace my old CRT. I am wondering how much I should be spending on a DVI cable because I see them range in price from $15 to over $100. I have a nice gaming rig so I want to get some nice quality video. I also have the ability to use an hdmi cable via adapter which came with my gpu and an hdmi cable that I have not been using. Any suggestions?

BTW, here is the link to the monitor I ordered.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005125

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
+1 to all the above comments. The whole high end cable industry is a big scam. Long runs need better sheilding and thicker internal wiring...other than that, a cable is a cable. I've argued this point for years with some of my audiophile friends who spend more on their cables than they do on their speakers.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I know people hate ebay, but I recently picked up 2 6' hdmi cables for 2.99 each, and that included shipping! And even though they are generic, they are very good quality...nice thickness and gold plated connectors. I've found several good cable deals there...newegg has good deals every now and then also. Whatever you do, don't buy them at a retail store! You'll pay over 10x as much for lower quality.