Blue screen of death?!!!

i was on youtube and all the sudden BBBAAMMMM!!!! blue screen came up

IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal
stop:0000000a (0x00000000, 0x0000001c, 0x00000001, 0x804FB03c)

the pc will not boot up no matter what mode you try Safe, normal, debug, last working configuration..... i tried them all. i have also taken out all 4 memory sticks and tried seperatly. still nothing, put in my old video card. still same thing. I have installed any new driver or hardware in over a month. Everything has been fine untill tonight. the only thing that i did do right before it crashed was put a new google chrome theme on. when i opened chrome it asked me if i wanted change my look, so i chose one from the google site and it worked for about 3 hours before this blue death showed, showed sure if it has something to do with it or just coincidence. im not familiar with bios but if ANYONE has any advice please help. im using my landlords laptop for now to keep investigating this. That pc is ALL i have.

p.s. its a dell XPS 400 purchased in 2005 with and xfx geforce 9500GT. it has 4 1gb memory sticks, 160gb hardrive, xp media edition

is the cpu overheating? not sure why it would all the sudden but im just not sure.

Thank you
21 answers Last reply
More about blue screen death
  1. kenny8076 said:
    i was on youtube and all the sudden BBBAAMMMM!!!! blue screen came up

IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal
    stop:0000000a (0x00000000, 0x0000001c, 0x00000001, 0x804FB03c)

the pc will not boot up no matter what mode you try Safe, normal, debug, last working configuration..... i tried them all. i have also taken out all 4 memory sticks and tried seperatly. still nothing, put in my old video card. still same thing. I have installed any new driver or hardware in over a month. Everything has been fine untill tonight. the only thing that i did do right before it crashed was put a new google chrome theme on. when i opened chrome it asked me if i wanted change my look, so i chose one from the google site and it worked for about 3 hours before this blue death showed, showed sure if it has something to do with it or just coincidence. im not familiar with bios but if ANYONE has any advice please help. im using my landlords laptop for now to keep investigating this. That pc is ALL i have.

p.s. its a dell XPS 400 purchased in 2005 with and xfx geforce 9500GT. it has 4 1gb memory sticks, 160gb hardrive, xp media edition

is the cpu overheating? not sure why it would all the sudden but im just not sure.

Thank you

I forgot to mention i do not have an XP disk, when i bought the pc from Dell it just came in a box, no CD's
  2. It could be that the hard drive got corrupted. Does the BIOS/POST/anything show up when you first turn it on, or is the screen completely blank? When you turn it on now, does it bluesceen or do nothing?
  3. when i first turn in on its a black screen for about 2 seconds with dell really big and a blue bar that loads really fast. then it goes all black with www.dell.com at the top for about 1 or 2 seconds, then goes to a black screen that says "sorry for the inconvenience...blah blah.... then has safe mode along with the 2 other modes then normal mode, with a clock counting down from 25 seconds. i have clicked on all of the modes and all go to the splash screen and the bar at the bottom below the XP logo never moves, about 3 or 4 seconds later it goes to the blue screen with the code i posted up top.
  4. If safe mode doesn't work then it isn't software, it is either corruption or a hardware failure. The first thing to check that all the fans are working (and that you aren't getting a really fast overheat) which will require opening the case up. Just to confirm, the warranty on your PC has expired, correct? From there, you could run a bootable memtest to make sure dying ram isn't the problem. You do not have any spare Hard Drive or Windows CD correct?
  5. ya both the fans are working and the side case panel hasnt been on in months, i have a dust free room and regulary use duster cans on the inside. i felt the stock cpu heatsink and it filled a little warm, not hot by anymeans though. im not sure what a good one is supposed to feel like, the last time i checked the temperature with rivatuner was a couple days ago and it was at 42C about 60C at load. and yes the warranty is no good, bought the pc in 2005 and everything is stock except to video card upgrade, about 2 months old. i have no harddrives and no windows CD's.

ive tried all the ram sticks in different ports and in bios its aknowledging all of them. i just need to find out what that code is, it has to mean something...... it has to show in what direction the problem is.
  6. IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal

The normal case of this can be a driver for some hardware in your computer.
    It happens when one irq is overloaded, ie when more than one bit of hardware is using the same irq request.
    3 devices using the same irq number is normal.
    Once you get to 4 or five devices. Then you start to get problems like IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal
    That is driver related, it means it failed to comunicate with the device.
  7. It is normally the Video driver.
  8. I had this once or twice after powercuts and it turned out to be a corrupted dll file that windows loaded durign start up ( a different one each time) i managed to fix it once by using insert and rescue to copy the file from the windows cd (which i realise you dont have).

If you got your pc from dell it should have a manual or recovery disk unless they started doing burn-your-own-media, in which case you might struggle. If theres a licence key on the machine you could always try downloading an image of an oem windows xp install cd....

Ive got a slightly dodgy hint here - if the cd key doesnt work use the illegal one that came with it then on first login run msoobe.exe to change the key to the genuine one.... The reason i know this is my lenovo laptop wanted a clean install (without the bloatware) - sadly the build no of XP on the recovery disk was slightly different from the version of windows that I have the disk for my desktop. Anyway the method above worked installing with the desktop CD key and changing it to the laptop one afterwards.

Of course I in no way condone using illegal software, but when microsoft seem to go out of their way to prevent people from using genuinely paid for licences something has to be done ;-) and the end result is I own two genuine licences and run two machines with windows XP.
  9. Reynod said:
    It is normally the Video driver.

how would i fix this? ive heard people say drivers but theres no way for me to get to the normal startup to go into control panel, or anything? never gets past blue screen
  10. That's why I'm concerned it is something else, like a corrupted critical windows file or hardware failure. I am pretty sure at least one of the safe modes loads the fail safe microsoft video driver.
  11. EXT64 said:
    That's why I'm concerned it is something else, like a corrupted critical windows file or hardware failure. I am pretty sure at least one of the safe modes loads the fail safe microsoft video driver.

ya thats what im thinking too, wish i could just pinpoint exactly, like i said before that code has to mean something, the last set of numbers atleast, (0x804fbo3c). i mean thats a code for something it has to be!!! i just cant find anything on it. thanks for the suggestions though, im just baffeled that this is happening when i need the pc the most!!
  12. if you use insert and rescue, you can at least scan your hdd for errors, and with a little luck maybe find either a fixable problem or the file that may be corrupted.

The other things to try are to remove and disable additional hardware like sound cards, network, usb etc etc and find the reset configuration data option in the bios (**DIFFERENT** to the reset BIOS option!!!!) and try booting it up with all the IRQ's having to be reassigned.....
  13. will_chellam said:
    if you use insert and rescue, you can at least scan your hdd for errors, and with a little luck maybe find either a fixable problem or the file that may be corrupted.

The other things to try are to remove and disable additional hardware like sound cards, network, usb etc etc and find the reset configuration data option in the bios (**DIFFERENT** to the reset BIOS option!!!!) and try booting it up with all the IRQ's having to be reassigned.....

whats insert and rescue? i have taken every card out of the pc including all the usb,only thing in right now is the power supply, video card, cpu(with heatsink), 2 fans, and harddrive. so your saying in the bios(f2) theres a "reset configuration data option"? but theres a serperate BIOS reset option which i do not want to touch? i wish there was a way to figure out if it is the harddrive or cpu acting up or even the mobo crashing! i will look at that bios thing though, im not an expert on it but ill try it thanks
  14. Well, here's the problem. When the hard drive on one of my computers corrupted and would not boot (I don't remember what my symptoms were exactly) I just grabbed a spare HD and OS I had laying around and did a reinstall, then recovered all my data, then reformatted. obviously you can't do that since you don't have the spare parts. I think what will is referring to (insert and rescue) is a bootable error/stability checking program (though I am not sure of which exactly he is referring to). As for the BIOS, I haven't looked in Dell BIOSes for a while so I'm not sure, but for the BIOS on my computer there is a reset to defaults or failsafe defaults option.
  15. EXT64 said:
    That's why I'm concerned it is something else, like a corrupted critical windows file or hardware failure. I am pretty sure at least one of the safe modes loads the fail safe microsoft video driver.

If you see post, haven't touched bios before all this happened, and that last hardware change was 2 months ago, then i have to agree with EXT64.

Reading the earlier comments, scene your able to get windows logo up but doesn't go from there then it is probably a corrupted file.

If it was a bad HDD then you wouldn't even see it load window logo,

video card wouldn't display if it was bad,

and if any other hardware then most likely it wouldn't even post (aka cpu, ram, motherboard).

So the only thing i could recommend is get an new os (like windows 7 when it comes out (thats if it can handle it)) or some how find Xp disk.

All i can say is it doesn't sound like hardware problems but more software corruption problems.
  16. Yeah, it is fairly easy for a small corruption to occur with no hardware failure. That PC I mentioned which had the corruption is still running 2+ years later and with the same hard drive, so it was just a random error, which even in the best of systems occurs, albeit rarely, and can have serious effects if there is no error correction like ECC, etc.
  17. kenny8076 said:
    I forgot to mention i do not have an XP disk, when i bought the pc from Dell it just came in a box, no CD's

NO CD's??,Then is there not a partition on the hdd with all the needful stuff for making your own cd's ,,I mean after all they HAVE to sell or include the original setup software and a license ,proof of purchase and all that..
    OTOH One thing you could try,get your hands on a boot DOS disk with scandisk and run scandisk c:,saved my bacon more than once,and when you do get it all together,if you have a floppy get familiar with Norton Ghost,it's a lifesaver..:)
  18. I agree the first thing I would try would be to run scandsk.
  19. warmon6 said:
    If you see post, haven't touched bios before all this happened, and that last hardware change was 2 months ago, then i have to agree with EXT64.

Reading the earlier comments, scene your able to get windows logo up but doesn't go from there then it is probably a corrupted file.

If it was a bad HDD then you wouldn't even see it load window logo,

video card wouldn't display if it was bad,

and if any other hardware then most likely it wouldn't even post (aka cpu, ram, motherboard).

So the only thing i could recommend is get an new os (like windows 7 when it comes out (thats if it can handle it)) or some how find Xp disk.

All i can say is it doesn't sound like hardware problems but more software corruption problems.

ok so if i buy a new Windows XP disk for a Dell pc and put it in the drive what will happen? will i have to uninstall the old one and install the new one?will it automatically do it or what? will all my stuff still be on the pc like all my pics and itunes music? heres one i found, is this what i need?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-WINDOWS-XP-Home-Full-Operating-System-CD-w-SP2_W0QQitemZ260486181895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item3ca62fb407&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

will i need a special number for that disk to work? or will it already be on the case?.

thanks so much i really appreciate everyones help, i am very dependent on this pc right now
  20. You could download for free a copy of Hiren’s boot CD and this will have utilities on it so that you can do a scandisk. Alternatively if you get a copy of the windows XP disk you can boot into recovery console and do a scandsk from there. If this does not cure the problem you could try a repair install of windows XP you will need the serial number on your case for this.
  21. By the way, the disk you was thinking of buying will not be capable of doing a repair install if you have sp3 installed on your computer as the disk is only sp2.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Blue Screen