OC'd Q6600 Damaged?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

I just bought a used Q6600 and after just receiving it I am now a bit worried to say the least. For one he INSANE amount of TIM that was left on the chip and sent to me. And two, the biggest concern, four circular discolorations on the contact side of the chip. I will post picture tonight but I am about to be late for work :heink: Also there are a few burrs on the heatsink-side surface and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this from the factory or is this something caused by the previous owner?

Thanks a Ton. I gota RUN!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
As for the Q6600 i bought off some guy on Craigslist, mine had a bunch of thermal compound on it and there was a (darker) discoloration on the contact side in two spots (which i think i did). Nevertheless, all was well after i cleaned it and installed. OC'd to 3.6 and lasted for 2+ years until i sold it.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Jon,

I managed to get all the thermal compound off, it just gave me the impression of someone who does not care about the chips well being.

Is there a solution that is safe to use on the contact side of the chip for cleaning? or is this not recommended at all?

Here is the best picture of the discolorations I could get. When I seen these I just thought, I know this chip was OC'd previously and it has four cores and four dark spots and all this could add up to be a bad thing. I also considered these may be finger prints or oil left from it being touched in the past, I just have never seen a thing like this on a chip before.

1692bf6.jpg

Darn those RED arrows are hard to see... if anyone cant see the spots clearly let me know and I'll edit it.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I can see them prefectly and that is exactly what i had on my Q6600. One was long, going all the way up the right side, the other was small on the bottom left. I do not recall if I did it or if it was like that when i bought it but i used the cleaning solution and purifier that Arctic Silver makes and it did not make a difference at all, spots were still there and the CPU worked just the same...

I wouldn't worry about it as you are not the first person aside from myself that has reported this.

Just be careful when overclocking, do it in small increments, that's what i did, i eventually got to 3.8 stable but backed down to 3.6 and let er rip for 2+ years.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, Thanks alot Jon.

For now I wont worry about it... even though my acute OCD keeps telling me to. :D

I just got my Mobo in the mail a few min. ago, probably wont be until tomorrow before I can back everything up from my old system and put her together. I am shooting for a 3.6GHz OC and I will be perfectly happy with that.

Thanks Again.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For the record, my OC settings were as follows:

FSB = 400
Multi = 9
CPU Voltage = 1.39 (i believe up to 1.44 is safe if i remember correctly)
turned off speedstep and such
Upped RAM voltage (G.Skill) from 1.8 to 2.0 and kept it at 400 (800 rated)
tightened the RAM timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12
I did not increase any other voltages (NB, etc..)
All this was done on an ASUS P5Q Pro using a Xigmatek HDT s1283
Temps never passed 61c on load, ever.
Case was HAF 922
This was a G0 Q6600
Never had an issue with 3.6 OC at all

Also, I was able to hit 3.8 on 1.39 Vcore but didn't want to push it so kept it at a respectable 3.6 :bounce:

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey Jonpaul,

To put it simply, Not good at all.

The motherboard that was given to me by a friend and the whole reason I purchased this used CPU, has a faulty PCI-E slot, is dead/damaged, or for some other reason not booting. Supposedly it work fine at the time of its last use about 6-months ago, but now it will not put out video or post, spent last two weekends trying to get it sorted out, and nothing worked. Trying to get a insurance claim going with the post office but it is VERY slow going and could be well over a month to two months before I get this resolved, so much for my upgrade. :cry:

Here is a post I made asking for help and detailing the issue: No Video/Post - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

Thanks for asking thought :lol: , and all your advice.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Sorry if that was worded poorly, I did not mean the issue was with the CPU, I meant it to refer to the Mobo. I had originally made this post over concerns of the dark spots on the CPU contact side though. Wont know the condition of the CPU until I get this Mobo to boot or a replacement :(

JSC, I have checked the other post and replied.

Thanks.