9800 GTX BSOD Driver Problems!

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
a week or two ago i got my new 9800 GTX In the mail. I didnt have any spare 6 pin power connectors, so i ordered in 2, 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E connectors. I plugged it all in when they arrived, and the card powered up and all, when i logged in Vista automatically detected it and installed drivers for me, it told me to restart and i did so. and before windows [Vista i may add] booted up, i got a BSOD. Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. This was before the log in screen. Thinking it was just a faulty start up i rebooted and it happened again. I booted to safe and uninstalled those windows drivers, and rebooted with no BSOD. i went to install the Nvidia 9 series newest drivers from Nvidia's website and then i got the BSOD after Nvidia told me to restart. So i booted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers. I then booted into normal mode with no BSOD. I proceeded to reinstall the drivers, after the reboot another bsod, same message. So i did a driver sweep and deleted every windows and nvidia graphics driver. I reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers rebooted and got away with no BSOD. I played Crysis with my 9800 GTX Oc'd to 750 MHZ Core clock. For about 4 hours yesterday night, this morning i woke up and played Crysis for about 2 more hours when all of a sudden it locked up, i used task manager to exit crysis and then opened crysis again, it once more locked up seconds after loading my saved game, but this time nothing i did fixed the lockup so i rebooted. Same BSOD upon windows loading, i did all the steps i mentioned previous once more but this time that bsod just keeps re-appearing and i cant figure out why, i went as far as to download much earlier drivers from Nvidia's site, 1.82 i believe. Those gave a BSOD as well, I then extracted the drivers from the Nvidia drivers, and used Windows Vistas add new hardware tool to apply the drivers manually, upon reboot there was no bsod, but instead a black screen that didnt go away, booting into safe mode and uninstalling drivers against fixed this. I have no idea what to do and any help would be appreciated. My system is:

4 GB RAM clocked at 1066
Q6600 Intel Core 2 duo @ 3.0 GHZ
Nvidia 9800 GTX
PC Chips P55G motherboard
160 GB Maxtor Hard drive
X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty series sound card
D-link wireless card
and a 600 Watt power supply

its probably a POS PSU (especially since it didn't have an 6pin power)
if you have a friend with a decent PSU try and use his and see, though this doesn't sound like a PSU problem

other thoughts, have you reinstalled vista, it may help considering all of the driver installs and uninstalls

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

None of my friends have a good power supply i can try it out on, I havent tried reinstalling vista but if at all possible i would like to avoid that, reinstalling all my software could take a while.

Another thought, if it is my power supply it has to be very close, because it did work for about 8 hours at one point, if i were to underclock my CPU wouldnt that take less power and maybe give my graphics card the power it needs for a while? Right now i cant afford a new PSU, and i dont think crysis would go very well with my old 9500 GT.

Also if it is my PSU i was looking through newegg to see what new one i would get, itll be a month or 2 before i get a new one if it is my PSU but this one looked nice to me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182160 its only 530 W but it has 4 12V rails running at 20 Amps each, that would be enough wattage and amperage for my computer, correct?

Edit: I tried underclocking my CPU to 1.6 GHZ per core the lowest it would go no success same BSOD, im almost sure this is a graphics driver problem because i had a power supply problem before and every BSOD was different, but correct me if im wrong first time with this problem. Also i forgot to mention if it makes a difference: my BSOD isnt fully blue, its full of graphical errors, the blue background has a lot of green dotted lines in it.

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I think Nvidia has Drivers Ver. 190.xx now... check for the latest.

other options... if your video card is overclocked... i would under clock it. to reduce the PWs 12v rail amps...

and to help it out a wee bit more , under clock and under volt your CPU just a little... not a whole lot... other wise, the PC wont boot at all...

example: CPU = 3.0 gig, (clock it to 2.9)
example: CPU Volt. = 1.32, (take it to 1.31)

example: Video card 750mhz, (take it to 700mhz)

and maybe, unplug cd-rom drive, and floppy if u have one... to give PWs more amps...

thats all i can think of for now....

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

The latest 1.90 drivers are the ones ive been trying to use and causing BSOD's as well
I BSOD on startup when i have drivers installed so i cant overclock or underclock now
I haven't ever changed the volts on my CPU, but i did reduce me 3 GHZ overclock to a 1.8 GHZ underclock with no luck

I unplugged every other drive except my drive with windows on it without success,
ill try to under volt now to see if anything happens, but at this point im pretty sure nothing well, ill edit this after i try it.

Edit: Under volted without any success, still the same old BSOD

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Humm... Do u have an On-board Video... maybe there "COULD" be conflict...

either the onboard is conflicting with the VID card, or the drivers could be turning on at the same time and causeing the error. or

there could be a IRQ somewhere that is conflicting with the video card.

you may want to go into ADMIN tools, and check the event viewer, and the Device MAN... to see what is happing...

let me know... what is happing, this is interesting....

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Okay ill slow my ram down in a moment, im looking at the event viewer now and theres alot of errors, guessing there the BSOD's.

I got "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt"
Another one: "The webdav client redirector driver service depends on the Redirected buffering sub sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning"
and another: "The computer browser service depends on the server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start"

For the most part each one says a different thing failed to start, but because a Device attached to the system is not functioning OR the dependency service or group failed to start
Does this mean my graphics card is not seated correctly or maybe its defected or something? It says a device is not functioning and i just installed my graphics card and all so that would make since i guess. What i dont get is why my computer decided to play for 6 hours before it started crashing again, i just dont get it.

ill go slow my ram down now see what happens.

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I checked newegg.com on your mother board... and looked at the specks...

It apears u have an on-board video? so there's got to be a conflict with the onboard vid.

also, maybe slow down your RAM, to Standard 800mhz... the 1066 could be pushing the video card bus... too fast. causeing the error.

PC-chips are basic boards... they are picky, some what...

i have put together 10 pc-chips , PC system... and had no problem... but little things, simular to your... with Video and sound , Picky-ness... but evently i got them to work...

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
It wouldnt let me adjust my ram clock so i set it to auto im guessing this well adjust it to where it should be
Restarting bsod'd again and i got the same errors in event viewed

I got "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt"
Another one: "The webdav client redirector driver service depends on the Redirected buffering sub sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning"
and another: "The computer browser service depends on the server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start"

Still everything seems to be telling my a device failed or a service failed

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
The Webdav and the Browser Service... i think that is something to do with your Lan, or wireless device... either disable it or unplug it... by the device Man, or removeing it from the system.

Playing for 6 hrs. well its posible that the vid. card moved. or when u over clocked the Vid card , it may have done somthing to it...

try the mem thing... and make sure your CPU is set to 2.5ghz (at lease)

and then take the vid card out. boot to the onboard vid. see if u can get into windows. then go into Device Man, and disable the onboard vid.

then reboot, go into the bios, tell it dont use the onboard vid, or tell it to use PCI-e slot first.

Power off pc, reinstall Vid Card. and power on... and see what happens

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Okay ill try all of that now probably take me 30 minutes, i guess ill start by removing my Wireless card to see what happens, and even if this doesnt fix it, thanks for all your help, nice of you to take out your time to help me out

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Or windows is corrupted... maybe reinstall... not sure...

but it sounds like ... ON-Board Vid & your 9800 Card dont like each other... u just got to keep trying... its got to work... there both Nvidia cards...

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Well i uninstalled all my Wireless cards drivers and removed the card still same BSOD. i suppose ill remove and re seat the video card and see what happens with it now

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
where do u live?

do u have any friends, to could take a peak at it... if i had a ph, i would call and try to solve this ... no ph, girl is out with it...

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

i live in Illinois

No friends who are good with computers at all, which sucks. Well anyway i went in and uninstalled AND disabled onboard video, i put the 9800 GTX back in and installed its drivers, and once again another BSOD. I dont get whats wrong the card has to be in all the way now i checked that, and there are no signs of other video drivers installed.

Could windows get corrupted like that? I dont think i have a CD with vista on it to do a repair installation or a reinstallation all i got is an XP disk but that wont be able to do my DX10 games which is the whole reason i got the GTX in the first place.

My computer runs completely fine in till i install drivers, the GTX works fine and displays windows without a BSOD, but as soon as i install drivers it goes and bsod's on me. I dont get how the drivers could do something like that, if windows was corrupted wouldnt i BSOD w/o drivers as well? Correct me if im wrong because i dont know much in this area of computers.

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Win could get corrupted... but really hard to say... can u get the driver ver. 189 or 188 or something lower than 190... maybe the drivers are bad, or a bad download.

thats a bummer, that u dont have vista CD... hum, do any friend have the software... or there are other ways to get the software online... ( i couldnt say, on this form) but there are ways to get vista... and use your key...

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I tried 1.82 drivers as soon as 1.9 Nvidia drivers failed with no success as well, ill check if one of my friends has a copy of vista tomorrow. I also tested my 9500 GT and it runs fine, could my 9800 be defective? That'd be my last guess, as the manufacturer says they tested the card and its Brand new OEM and it worked for them.
Also before my computer boots windows it has a screen with a black background that shows my computer specs (processor ram, clocks, and such) with the 9800 GTX installed the background has green dots all over it in a formation kind of like ..'''.. in a line that just repeats over and over all over the screen. The same is true when i enter into bios, the blue background has the dots, and the BSOD background has the green dots, but the screen right before the log in screen, its got the windows logo on it, has no green dots or anything and looks completely normal, do these green dots mean anything at all?

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Thats a big issue... that issue tells me a lot... bingo... :)

U have a bad card... either it went bad , or when it was overclocked, it over heated, and fryed...

one other thing u could try. but may void warrenty... by checking the heatsink that attaches to GPU and see if it came off... if so, the chip probley fryed...

RMA it, and get a new one...

but keep trying for another day... and see what happens... but its probley fryed...

sorry man...

(P.S.) i live in mich. (e. lansing.) GO MSU....

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Really? Weird, because when i've always had this issue from the moment i installed it, i thought it was just some weird problem when i first installed it and went on and played for 6 hours, HWmonitor showed it never went above 71 C while playing but i guess it could of been wrong. But okay i'll contact the person i bought it from and get a exchange or a refund.
Thanks for all your help its greatly appreciated sorry i didnt point the dots out earlier but since it ran fine for those 6 hours i thought the dots meant nothing :??:

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Well keep trying... but i'v friyed a few my self, and green dots in the bios, and etc... mean, the card went bad...

but keep trying... maybe its something else

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I've tried everything I can possibly think of and then everything you suggested. I doubt I well be able to fix it if its something else. I'll just RMA the card and plug my new one in and hope dearly that it works, or i could be out 125$ :cry:

Hopefully the new card lives up to my expectations, and i think ill refrain from overclocking my new one i dont want to fry another if it is me who screwed it up.

Thank you again for all your help, its greatly appreciated. I'll see you around