Best AGP Graphics Card

PaperJesus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Alright, I'm looking for the best AGP graphics card that will not be bottle necked by a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Processor, and hopefully I'll be able to watch HD video. If, there isn't one, I would like a recommendation of a cheap AGP 8x that will run HD video. Any answers of "Buy a new computer." are pointless, because I'm not going to buy a new computer.

Specs:
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Processor
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 mb
2 gbs RAM
Windows 7 Build 7100/Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

It's basically a Dell Dimension 4600 that I've been upgrading bit by bit with spare parts I've gotten from family. I don't want to spend too much on a new graphics card, but I would like to be able to make full use of a new 23" 1080p monitor.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
AGP is pretty over priced now a days, there are not many "cheep" upgrades around to you, something like this would allow you to have some light gaming and watch movies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814

..though playing at 1080p will make gaming nearly impossible without a new computer (on anything but rather old games).

What PSU do you have, will be important to make sure it can power a new card.

No matter what you get the cpu will be a pretty serious bottleneck, nothingyou can do about that if you don't want to upgrade. HD video will not be spectacular on that box, but it should work with something like the above linked card.

Note that official driver supoprt stopped for AGP cards years ago.

Look for: HD3450 or 3650 series cards, both have good HD playback but expect possible driver problems, look through the Newegg reviews for details and possible solutions.
Blast, despite the Spit, I keep getting beaten;)

PaperJesus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations so far, I definitely won't be playing games at 1080p, I know that for certain. The most I play anyway is Team Fortress 2, and I usually run that in a window. Though if it will be able to run current generation games decently (at a lower resolution), that would be nice.