Is 2GB enough RAM for a 64 bit PC?

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I recently purchased a HP MS214 all in one PC. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. At the current time, there are a lack of 64 bit programs, so for the most part, I'm running 32 bit programs. But as time goes on and more and more 64 bit programs starts becoming the norm, will 2GB be sufficent? It is for now, but I've read over and over that it takes 4GB RAM to unleash the power of 64 bit technology. This model was a quick ship budget model, the only accessories available were printers, wireless keyboard & mouse, just external things. It was on sale and all that I could afford. It has two slots holding 1024MB RAM each. Is this upgradable?

Solution
2GB is just fine. If you got 4GB then switching between programs would be a little quicker but working within programs would be exactly the same.

Unless you have a gaming system or some specific photo or video editing needs 2GB is just fine.

I also know what I'm talking about. I've used both 2GB and 4GB in Windows 7 x64 Premium. I found that 2GB felt just slightly slower when switching between programs. Spend your money elsewhere.
Honestly, 2GB is enough, but 4GB would be a lot better. I would look into upgrading it if possible.

Since it is an all in one, it may use notebook-style RAM rather than desktop style. It should be upgradeable, but make sure you know whether it uses desktop or notebook memory, as well as whether it uses DDR2 or DDR3 before you try upgrading.

kylo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
yeah 2GB will work, but you will probably have around 3/4 of your RAM in use so if you start doing alot it will have a good chance of lagging and slooowwing down.. 4GB is the norm now for most computers.
By the way i have Windows 7 home premium 64bit and its GREAT!!!!!

2GB is just fine. If you got 4GB then switching between programs would be a little quicker but working within programs would be exactly the same.

Unless you have a gaming system or some specific photo or video editing needs 2GB is just fine.

I also know what I'm talking about. I've used both 2GB and 4GB in Windows 7 x64 Premium. I found that 2GB felt just slightly slower when switching between programs. Spend your money elsewhere.

Solution

PcJedi240

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
As already stated 2gb is FINE 4gb will be better as you stated the more 64 bit progs you run. As far as upgradable yes, you will just have to check the specs of the max mem GB the board will handle (most likely its over 4gb) and like photon ive run both 2 and 4 on win7 pro 64 AND game as well with only the 2gb with no issues (TRA/TRL Resident Evil 4, etc.. not old games but newer system intense ones)

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for your input. I was looking at the specs and it said that the 2GB RAM was high performance. Most likely, I'll never do things like photo editing, using my PC as a TV, etc. I just wanted to make sure I had enough RAM.