Advanced Networking problem (STEVE WINOGRAD?)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hello,

I am trying to share an ADSL internet connection on 2 machines via a
wireless network.
One machine is the DESKTOP that is the HOST of the internet connection, and
the other one is
a centrino LAPTOP that is the client. I am trying to use the XP ICS.

I have succesfully created the wireless network that is peer to peer
(AD-HOC) using the guide on this page:
This network is working!

I DID NOT do the last step to configure WEP because the Internet connection
sharring was not working.
Let me explain: when a connection is sharred an icon pops up in the network
connections on the CLIENT machine
that shows the gateway and lets you control the modem on the HOST machine.
This icon HAS emerged!
It says clearly that the DSL modem is connected and the connection is
shared.

However the client does not get on the internet.

I know of a problem that occures with PPPoe and I have done the following
suggested by MVP Steve Winograd

> This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
> Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
> should solve the problem:
>
> 1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the ICS host computer.
>
> 2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:
>
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107

However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem does NOT
occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
ALSO happens
with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with XP ICS!
--

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________

---

---
More about advanced networking problem steve winograd
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Can you 'ping' an internet address eg.220.236.7.20 , or www.knowndomain.com? If yes then your internet sharing works, but you have to enter the DNS Server Address.

    Before you start, gather the following information:

    · your broadband connection's IP address, e.g., 123.43.2.1

    · subnet mask, e.g., 255.255.122.0

    · default gateway e.g., 192.168.0.1

    · DNS IP addresses e.g., 123.123.123.1

    You can get most of these things from your Internet provider; your customer-service rep will know what you're talking about (or you can find this using the Properties tab, under Network Connections).

    Each is just a series of numbers (e.g., 123.43.2.1) that you'll need to input to the network settings for the Laptop.

    These should be entered on the Laptop for the 'network connection': make sure you assign it an IP address that is incremental to the Gateway e.g., 192.168.0.3.

    To avoid becoming a neighbourhood 'hot-spot' , for the D-Link you should choose an SSID (service set identifier) I recommend that you do not accept the default setting as anyone nearby with a wireless device can possibly also use your internet access. Set your SSID to a meaningful name use your House Name or Family Name.

    For work-group name use ‘Wireless’ and a wireless channel select from 1 – 11, I recommend you use a higher channel as default settings usually select the lower end. Keep these consistent for all of your machines.

    Security
    For additional security you can and should use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) algorithm: and set this at 64bit: you can then choose a combination of 10 hexadecimal characters [0-9 + A-F], again for this may I recommend you select your mobile phone number as it is 10 characters long, easy to remember and not known to all your neighbours.

    Additionally you can set the Access Point to only allow access to specific units, where you would enter their MAC address [Media Access Control address the hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network], again a series of Hex numbers and usually found on the Wireless Card plugged into the Laptops or other desktop PCs.

    "Kenny S" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to share an ADSL internet connection on 2 machines via a
    > wireless network.
    > One machine is the DESKTOP that is the HOST of the internet connection, and
    > the other one is
    > a centrino LAPTOP that is the client. I am trying to use the XP ICS.
    >
    > I have succesfully created the wireless network that is peer to peer
    > (AD-HOC) using the guide on this page:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    > This network is working!
    >
    > I DID NOT do the last step to configure WEP because the Internet connection
    > sharring was not working.
    > Let me explain: when a connection is sharred an icon pops up in the network
    > connections on the CLIENT machine
    > that shows the gateway and lets you control the modem on the HOST machine.
    > This icon HAS emerged!
    > It says clearly that the DSL modem is connected and the connection is
    > shared.
    >
    > However the client does not get on the internet.
    >
    > I know of a problem that occures with PPPoe and I have done the following
    > suggested by MVP Steve Winograd
    >
    > > This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
    > > Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
    > > should solve the problem:
    > >
    > > 1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the ICS host computer.
    > >
    > > 2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:
    > >
    > > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107
    >
    > However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem does NOT
    > occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
    > ALSO happens
    > with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
    > I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with XP ICS!
    > --
    >
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > _____________
    > Kenny S
    > http://www.computerboom.net
    > FREE programs and MORE!
    >
    > ---
    >

    > ---

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    You are leaving yourself "WIDE OPEN" without any type of "Wireless
    Encryption" active and using "ad hoc" connection.
    Suggestion: spend a few bucks more and get a wireless access point
    router which serves several purposes:
    No need to leave the PC powered up when using the Laptop.
    No need to hassle with ICS - it is pragmatic at best.
    You can enable WEP
    Use an wireless access point.
    Allow only certain MAC addresses from accessing your wireless
    access point/network.
    Ah the list goes on and on.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to share an ADSL internet connection on 2 machines via a
    > wireless network.
    > One machine is the DESKTOP that is the HOST of the internet
    connection, and
    > the other one is
    > a centrino LAPTOP that is the client. I am trying to use the XP ICS.
    >
    > I have succesfully created the wireless network that is peer to peer
    > (AD-HOC) using the guide on this page:

    > This network is working!
    >
    > I DID NOT do the last step to configure WEP because the Internet
    connection
    > sharring was not working.
    > Let me explain: when a connection is sharred an icon pops up in the
    network
    > connections on the CLIENT machine
    > that shows the gateway and lets you control the modem on the HOST
    machine.
    > This icon HAS emerged!
    > It says clearly that the DSL modem is connected and the connection
    is
    > shared.
    >
    > However the client does not get on the internet.
    >
    > I know of a problem that occures with PPPoe and I have done the
    following
    > suggested by MVP Steve Winograd
    >
    > > This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP
    Over
    > > Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
    > > should solve the problem:
    > >
    > > 1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the ICS host computer.
    > >
    > > 2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown
    here:

    > > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107
    >
    > However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem
    does NOT
    > occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
    > ALSO happens
    > with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
    > I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with
    XP ICS!
    > --
    >
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > _____________
    > Kenny S
    > http://www.computerboom.net
    > FREE programs and MORE!
    >
    > ---
    >

    > ---

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    I dont think that this is the case, the ICS should work without a DNS server
    address.
    Also as I said again there is no access point, I am using an ad hoc wireless
    peer to peer network.

    But thanks for the info.

    Kenny S
    http://www.computerboom.net
    FREE programs and MORE!

    ---

> [...]
    following
    > > suggested by MVP Steve Winograd
    > >
    > > > This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
    > > > Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
    > > > should solve the problem:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the ICS host computer.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107
    > >
    > > However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem does
    NOT
    > > occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
    > > ALSO happens
    > > with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully
    > >

    > > Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
    > > I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with XP

    ---
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    I know, I know, unfortunatly getting an access point means also buyng a new
    ethernet ADSL modem since the one on the system is a USB one :-(
    I can have WEP encruption with AD HOC too, so I am not consirned about
    security.....
    it seems like too much to have an access point for only 2 machines.

    However since I will be creating wireless networks in the future also I
    would like to learn how to set up a
    Wireless network with an access point. Do you have any good links that
    explain how to do this?

    Thanks in advance

    ____________
    Kenny S
    http://www.computerboom.net
    FREE programs and MORE!

    ---

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
    <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(FORGET-SPAM)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > following
    > > suggested by MVP Steve Winograd
    > >
    > > > This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP
    > Over
    > > > Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
    > > > should solve the problem:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the ICS host computer.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown
    > here:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107
    > >
    > > However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem
    > does NOT
    > > occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
    > > ALSO happens
    > > with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully
    > >

    > > Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
    > > I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Ill try that.. thanks

    --

    __________
    Kenny S

    ---

> [...]
    > > machine.
    > > > This icon HAS emerged!
    > > > It says clearly that the DSL modem is connected and the connection
    > > is
    > > > shared.
    > > >
    > > > However the client does not get on the internet.
    > > >
    > > > I know of a problem that occures with PPPoe and I have done the
    > > following
    > > > suggested by MVP Steve Winograd

    > > Over

    > > here:

    > > > However I think ( I have not confirmed this yet 100%) the problem
    > > does NOT
    > > > occure when a DSL modem is connected only, but
    > > > ALSO happens
    > > > with a simple DIAL UP MODEM, even that cannot be shared succesfully
    > > >

    > > > Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make this work?
    > > > I know that I can use a wireless router, but I want to do this with

    ---

Configuration Microsoft Internet Connection Windows XP