Back Panel Connection Problems - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am having problem with my back panel connections. I just recently built this computer. It turns on and goes to the Gigabyte Logo Screen where I can set up my BIOS. Only problem is that it wont recognize a keyboard or mouse. When I plug in a keyboard, the Num/Caps/Scroll lock flash on for a second and go off. When I plug in a optical mouse, the underneath red glow does the same(comes on for a second and goes off). Any ideas?

Edit: I tried using the PS2 slots first and then the USB slots, Same result. I even tried using the USB slot on the front panel, but it keeps just flashing on and going off.

mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I tried clearing the CMOS by holding a screwdriver to the pins for a few seconds as it said in the manual but that didn't work either. I can't get to the POST screen to see if it will beep or not either. Faulty MB maybe? I would think that if it wasn't going to work that it wouldn't work at all ... not flash on then go off for all of the ports. Especially the front USB ports. Hmmmm

mhipsher34

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Seems everyone else is as lost as I am :-( I think I will try my old CPU and if that does the same thing than I guess I will just return my MB for a new one and hope that works.

bilbat

Splendid
Sounds like time for the 'strip-down':

Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (carefully):
power2.jpg

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...